Can Oxycheq single standard 30# be mated with DSS SS back plate??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buds

Registered
Reaction score
Question For Hardware52Tobin and / or NWgrateful or anyone else that can answer....

Will it be necessary to use an "STA" if using an Oxycheq 30# single with DSS SS Backplate??? or should i just order the DSS Single Tank system with LCD30 and call it a Day??

( problem is i already own an Oxycheq 30# single but im in love with Tobins SS backplate .. You own an oxy 30 and 45 if im not mistaken .. what Back plate did you use ?? ) ( What would be the issues here)

How did you configure your Dss rig?

much thanks again

Rob

Rob ... you can use the Oxy wing and DSS plate without an STA, but I find the STA adds some stability to the setup. In fact, the setup I use the most often is the Oxy 45# standard wing, DSS backplate (with 5# plate weights) and Oxy STA. On that rig I use a standard, single-piece harness.

The main reason you get side-to-side cylinder movement without an STA is that the cylinder tends to rest on the screw heads used to keep the wing attached to the plate. If you want to go without an STA you might want to try the rubber pull-through pieces that Tobin uses on the DSS wing ... but for my money the STA provides the most stability.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

buds:
Question For Hardware52Tobin and / or NWgrateful or anyone else that can answer....

Will it be necessary to use an "STA" if using an Oxycheq 30# single with DSS SS Backplate??? or should i just order the DSS Single Tank system with LCD30 and call it a Day??

( problem is i already own an Oxycheq 30# single but im in love with Tobins SS backplate .. You own an oxy 30 and 45 if im not mistaken .. what Back plate did you use ?? ) ( What would be the issues here)

How did you configure your Dss rig?

much thanks again

Rob

Hi Rob,

The combo I have the greatest knowledge of, and confidence in is of course a DSS Plate mated to our LCD 30 wing. I know that this combo will securely hold a tank without a STA.

Having said that, many folks do use our plate with a variety of other wings from OXY, Halcyon, DR etc.

If you already have a wing, no need to buy another, the OXY wing is a fine product.

Often so called "Sta-Less" setups result in rocking tanks when the bolts that used to secure the wing to the plate become "pivot points" Using low profile bolts help as does careful alignment of the tank and plate as you tighten the cam straps.

Our design does eliminate these bolt / pivot points, and does have a elastomeric cradle to further prevent rock, but that does not mean you can't do it without them.

Even if you later decide you need a STA, it's likely cheaper buy a STA than a second wing.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Regards,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom