Can some explain to me what PPO2 is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly.

Wendigo:
Do any of you really think that it is a good idea to skim these lessons just because it isn't absolutely critical at OW depths?

I truly hope not. Having more information can do nothing to harm a diver, however it can be a great detriment to have too little. Besides, if they do go on to nitrox classes, they will be just that much further ahead.

The student's eyes truly glaze over from the information overload, Wendigo.

The text has a photo of a bottle of tonic water fizzing. That is normally the starting point for the discussion of the theory of decompression, Walter. They can relate to that.

It is covered in YMCA OW courses.

Why? What berring does it have on diving with air at recreational depths?

MikeS:
Why? What berring does it have on diving with air at recreational depths?

Because know it alls have to criticize the agencies. They refuse to acknowledge that basic OW divers:

a) breath air with a static fo2 and no2
b) ppo2 thresholds are not a concern 0 to 60fsw
c) narcosis is not a concern at 0 to 60fsw ( course I'm sure someone will say they breat rec triox at 60fsw )
d) can simply be told the deeper you go the less time you can stay
e) can be trained to follow a table with certain procedures/rules without neededing to fully understand the theory behind it
f) many just want to go have a fun time and not play arm chair OWSI on the internet

Walter:
"Required per standard or is it just something you present?"

Required per standard. How do you explain the theory of decompression without discussing Dalton's Law of partial pressures?

Not what I asked. I asked is it required by the YMCA open water standard. I read the source of the YMCA standards and it is not clear the degree to whitch you woulod discuss decompression.

WRSTC quote

4.3 Physics of Diving. Open water level information on the physical principles of matter and their application to diving activities and hazards.
(1) Sound
(2) Light
(3) Buoyancy
(4) Pressure/gas laws
(5) Temperature

This is the extent of the guidance. Does the YMCA standard specify that you talk about daltons pressure law for open water certification? Some would argue that diving on air within the recreational limits that it would PPO2 would not be a factor. I am guessing this is why the WRSTC is vague in this area.

That said it is clear that the agency and or instructor can teach beyond the standard. It sounds to me that you are and I commend you for it but lets be clear as to what the standard says (not just the way you think it should be).

But it is all good.

Pete

I've seen more and more questions being posed on this board that makes me wonder if the person asking the question is in fact a diver. If they are not a diver, I have no problem with that, or them asking questions about diving. Hopefully their curiosity will lead them to pursue diving as a hobby. If they are a diver, and have posed a question that is so basic that they make it clear they were cheated out of a proper education. Then we should try to get them in touch with a good instructor for some catch up tutoring. The question posed in this thread however is not of such a basic nature, and I'm glad to see it was answered correctly by several of you.

We may all wish that an OW class contained everything and anything that is associated with diving, but that is just not realistic. That’s what specialty courses are for. Just as it is not realistic to expect someone who has just passed an OW course to be perfect in trim and buoyancy control. That’s what practice and diving with an experienced diver as a buddy is for.

I'm with Indigo on this one.

Perhaps Wendigo, you've forgotten that these newbs, for want of a better name are just learning how to scuba, it's why it's called Basic OW.

The only thing they truly understand is "deep water hurts my ears" at this stage.

The eyes glaze because it isn't yet real to them. They don't make the connection..it's why they're called NEW, It's why they are trained to 60ft only.

PP's are the least of thier worries at 60ft.

It won't be long from that point before it becomes relevant, but not at OW.

Hell, even NOW I don't recall ANY definitions, be it Dalton, or any other old long dead fart that made math and physics such a pain in the a$$.

I seem to fully understand just about anything in scuba as it pertains to PP's, ATA's, Best mix, EAD, END and any other related crap you can throw at me.

But when I was a simple OW student, it was irrelevant to me just learning how to dive.......ow my ear, ow my ear...........look at the pretty fish.........hey this is cool, Ooops broke that hunk of coral. Do it again after 1hr SI.

That's all most OW's know to put it simply.

pt40's got it too, read his last paragraph above.

Dont get me wrong, I do see you guys point. That doesn't change the fact that more information can't hurt. That is part of our philosophy.

As far as "eyes glazing over" , well that is a real concern with the amount of time we spend with students in YMCA courses. A good instructor gives lots of breaks and can tell when students are zoning out.

YMCA doesnt see any of these as too in depth for basic OW certification:
(1) Sound
(2) Light
(3) Buoyancy
(4) Pressure/gas laws
(5) Temperature
I'd say we spend approx. 2 hours going through the basics of these priciples, and probably another 2 hours on the pressure/gas laws lesson. The students take home their books. They also take home handouts and problems. When they come back to class, they have studied the material on their own and we answer any questions they came up with.

I know some of you guys think this is way too much to ask, but that is the way it has always been with the YMCA program. From what I understand the NAUI program is pretty comprehensive too.

I am not trying to say that PADI and SSI are creating unqualified OW divers at all. However, I am saying that the students coming out of our YMCA OW program locally are some of the best OW level divers you will ever meet. I'll bet they would amaze some of you with their understanding.

We also work on the buoyancy control in the pool for a pretty good while. And dont get me started on buddy breathing being a "liability"

Thank you all for the explanations regarding PPo2. I now understand its purpose regarding diving somewhat and do intend on taking a Nitrox class as soon as I can. And no PPO2 was not taught in my OW class. Dalton yes, PPO2 no.

Now in part 2 of my question...

Can someone compare 2 dives for me. I am interested in diving the Captain Dan wreck here in Fort Lauderdale. At 110 ft ( no ndl chart to look at ) I believe I can stay down for around 15 minutes, including safety stop. How would such a dive compare with NITROX?

I got my basic OW through NASDS, and that's where my instructor brought it up. There was a great deal of other stuff he also talked about, ranging from U.S. Navy dive tables to x-rated underwater activities. He also referrred to oxygen as "oxygent."

I'm sure this man is now dead somewhere. And then NASDS merged into SSI. Interesting coincindence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom