Can someone identify this FISH?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gpulsar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I took this Picture In Monito Island between Puerto Rico and The Dominican Repullic in the Caribbean. I can figure this one out.

Attachments

• PA180021.JPG
    PA180021.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 302
Thanks But I looked for Tuna and they seem different pointier head than this..

Definitely does not look like a tuna to me but I don't have a better answer.

With exception of the Dorsal fin it looks like a dolphin fish, its kinda hard to tell from the angle as well since there information on the size or color patterns. Either way it looks tasty

I have to first say, that it's not the easiest photo by which to make an identification, but it looks like a Jack of some sort - definitely a species of Carangidae (Jacks). As to the species, maybe a Crevalle Jack given the head and pectoral fin morphology (shape), perhaps a Horse-eye (but the eye doesn't look large enough in the photo) or maybe a Black Jack - given the prominent scutes in front of the caudal fin and steep head profile of the fish in the photo.

Regardless, it is likely a species of Jack, but which one for sure is hard to say.

Hope that helps.

Lee

Jack makes alot more sense then my Dolphin Fish answer. Body just seems a little on the thin side base to top wise for a jack. But since the photo is on a downward angle its really hard to tell.

Hybrid tuna :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom