Can someone tell me what kind of fish this is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From my experience, it's called a lizard fish in some areas(ex. on Dominica) and an iguana fish(ex. on Cozumel)......

here's one having a snack(eating a snapper on Cozumel)--sorry for the poor quality of the video, I forgot to shoot it in white balance.....

CZMUWvideoNov07 :: iguana fish eating snapper video by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

EDIT: here's 2 for 1.......
2lizardfish.jpg

Lizard fish is more typically a long thin bottom fish in the genus Synodus.

Iguana fish is a vernacular name that is commpletely unknow to FISHBASE, so I suspect that it is a very isolated local term or simply made up by a dive guide who couldn't admit that he or she did not know the name. Iguana Lizardfish or Chile Iguana are vernaculars used for Synodus sechurae.

Lizard fish is more typically a long thin bottom fish in the genus Synodus.

Iguana fish is a vernacular name that is commpletely unknow to FISHBASE, so I suspect that it is a very isolated local term or simply made up by a dive guide who couldn't admit that he or she did not know the name. Iguana Lizardfish or Chile Iguana are vernaculars used for Synodus sechurae.

thanks----DMs @ Aldora are consistant anyway, called it that several times over the last few years.....Really, I just call them all 'local fish', can't go wrong with that.....:D

mistake.... Lizzard fish

Back
Top Bottom