Can the Panasonic 8mm FE lens be used behind the ZEN WA-100-EP Dome for Oly housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emb

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have the older WA-EP 100 ZEN Dome that I used on my older PEN housing and will be using it (with and adapter) on the Olympus PT-EP13 UW Housing for the OMD-E-M5 Mark II. I know that the 14-42mm lens, the 9-18 mm lens and the 60mm macro lenses can be used with this older ZEN WA-100-EP Dome. (I own all 3 of those lenses). We also own the Panasonic 8mm/3.5 FE and the Olympus 12-50 mm kit lens that came with the OMD-E-M5 Mark II. Anyone know, can these lenses (Pany 8mm FE and Oly 12-50) be used behind this older ZEN Dome?
Thanks!

I used to have an Olympus E-PL1 camera and when diving, I would use the Panasonic 8mm f3.5 fisheye lens. I used the Olympus housing and the Zen 4in (100mm) mini dome port. (I think it is the same one as you are asking about.)
1321985283_dp.100ep_1384275035.jpg

Over/under shots were tricky, but with enough luck they were achievable, and underwater, I was very happy with the results.

TCI-30.jpg

I think it should work.

That particular dome did not work for me with the 12-50 and my E-M1. It would struggle to lock focus at 12mm, and wouldn't focus at all beyond that. Also, there is a different Zen mini dome just for the Panny 8mm, so it might not work so well in yours.

I used to have an Olympus E-PL1 camera and when diving, I would use the Panasonic 8mm f3.5 fisheye lens. I used the Olympus housing and the Zen 4in (100mm) mini dome port. (I think it is the same one as you are asking about.)
View attachment 412882

Over/under shots were tricky, but with enough luck they were achievable, and underwater, I was very happy with the results.

View attachment 412881

I think it should work.

Thanks for the reply, Hoag (and pretty shot using the FE above)! The ZEN port that you have is the DP-100, which IS made specifically for use with the 8mm lens. I own the older ZEN WA 100 Dome port and was just wondering IF the Pany 8mm lens would work with THAT dome, as we were hoping not to have to buy another dome port.

That particular dome did not work for me with the 12-50 and my E-M1. It would struggle to lock focus at 12mm, and wouldn't focus at all beyond that. Also, there is a different Zen mini dome just for the Panny 8mm, so it might not work so well in yours.

Thanks for the post, Furnari- guess we will just have to take it out and try it. We were trying to see if either the 12-50 and or the 8mm FE Pany that I currently own would work with this older ZEN dome (which does work with the 12-42 mm and the 9-18). Wanted to save some $ and not have to buy ANOTHER dome port, if we didn't have to go that route.

Thanks for the reply, Hoag (and pretty shot using the FE above)! The ZEN port that you have is the DP-100, which IS made specifically for use with the 8mm lens. I own the older ZEN WA 100 Dome port and was just wondering IF the Pany 8mm lens would work with THAT dome, as we were hoping not to have to buy another dome port.
OK. Sorry. I didn't mean to throw bad (or potentially misleading) info out there.

Hi EMB
The 8mm Panasonic definately does not work inside the Zen WA-DP-100 Port. The reason it doesn't work is the 8mm lens see's the inside barrel and dome shades due to the larger angle of view and shorter lens body of the 8mm versus the 9-18mm lens that this port is designed for.
The 12-50mm fits and does not see the port barrel or dome shades I haven't tried this lens/port combo underwater. But I don't think it will focus up-close very well, due to the curvature of the port and proximity of the lens front to the port. But worth a try? At the worst it may need a 52mm close up diopter fitted to the front of the 12-50mm lens (try a +1 or +2 dry diopter).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom