Can this Mares reg handle nitrox and transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering buying a used Mares VX16 titan first stage, with voltrex and akros second stages. I couldn't find much info on these. I looked up Mares site, but only current products are shown.

Can this reg setup handle nitrox (up to recreational limit 40%)? One site seems to mention because it's titanium, it can only handle air?

Can the VX16 first stage handle a transmitter for an air-integrated computer? This site's review thinks it may be a problem. But has anyone tried it?

Thanks a lot.

Hello to Toronto. As you noted the 1st stage on this regulator is composed with some titanium. There is some debate in the industry regarding your question. There is also varied rules and regulations re: Nitrox and regulators based by country as well. In the U.S. and Canada our regulators are Nitrox compatible up to 40% out of the box and it is considered by most, ok to switch back and forth with out "cleaning" your regulator. In Europe you must have a dedicated regulator set up to accomodate Nitrox.

In the past I have heard of a few isolated occurances of spontaneous combustion with the use of high pressure oxygen enriched air and titanium. While unlikely it is still remains a possibility. Therefore if you are set on using Nitrox this may not be the first stage for you. I have to error on the side of caution and would suggest any one of our other brass 12, 22, 32, or 42 1st stages, coupled with any of our other top performing rebel, abyss, or proton model second stages.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Hi Zak.

Thanks for your help.

How about using a transmitter on this VX16 titan first stage? Could there be an issue of ports being too close, as the one review suggests? I might one day (when I have more money) buy an air-integrated computer with a transmitter.

As for nitrox, I haven't used nitrox since getting nitrox certified last year. Many places don't have it, and if I use it it'll mostly likely be 32%. Would that still be an issue?

I only dive in vacations in warm water, using single tanks. (No, don't dive near Toronto, too cold)

Thanks a lot.

Like I said, I have to error on the side of caution and not recommend nitrox with titanium. It is unlikely something would go wrong, but what if it did? As for the transmitter, I can't speak from experience. I also believe transmitters range in different sizes. It would appear by looking at the 1st stage, if the transmitter was large there could be some interference. You might want to post your question in the regulator forum. You will probably get more feedback re: the port configuration and transmitter from people who use this or have tried.

Best,

Torontonian:
Hi Zak.

Thanks for your help.

How about using a transmitter on this VX16 titan first stage? Could there be an issue of ports being too close, as the one review suggests? I might one day (when I have more money) buy an air-integrated computer with a transmitter.

As for nitrox, I haven't used nitrox since getting nitrox certified last year. Many places don't have it, and if I use it it'll mostly likely be 32%. Would that still be an issue?

I only dive in vacations in warm water, using single tanks. (No, don't dive near Toronto, too cold)

Thanks a lot.

...you might try to install a 'port extender' on one of your HP ports to install your transmitter..... I have a Mares Ruby that had a 1/2" LP port for my primary 2nd stage, I had to install a 'LP port extender/reducer' to install an Atomic Aquatics 3/8" 2nd stage swivel hose...there are HP 'extenders' you can use to give you the space you need for a transmitter......by the way, I don't believe in transmitters and only use hose mounted computers, but I won't get into that on this thread.

Karl

Back
Top Bottom