Can virus or bacteria survive a PPO2 over 30?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, my guess is that the oxidative environment would be do a lot of detriment prior to decompression.

I would guess you're right. The more I think about it, I also guess that these organisms wouldn't survive the heat generated in three or four compressor stages. You may not be able to fray an egg on compressor heads but you can boil water. I doubt the compressor filtration package would snatch many of these tiny buggers but the water seperators would capture a lot of them.

IF our assumptions are correct, it might argue in favor of using an HP air source in bio-HazMat applications instead of a LP source. At least firefighters don't have to worry about CV19 as long as they sanitize their masks and regulators.

I was so struck with the humor and honesty of the phrase it stuck with me.
#metoo.

To bad I couldn't remember who originally coined the phrase. I'm a stickler for proper attribution, so it annoyed the heck out of me not being able to recall who used it first.

@lowviz, you are correct. Everyone talks about how cockroaches will be the only thing to survive in a post nuclear world. Nah, it'll be the tardigrades (aka water bears)!

To bad I couldn't remember who originally coined the phrase. I'm a stickler for proper attribution, so it annoyed the heck out of me not being able to recall who used it first.

That thread began and ended two years before you joined the board, so unless you were reading old long hose threads you may never have read the original. When it's repeated, rarely is attribution given, so it is hard to track down the origin. At least you knew it was not yours, some others not so much.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

As an anecdote: I had a friend take a cockroach down to 200' in a pressure pot for something like an hour, then shot him back to 1 atm. The bug twitched a few times, but regained all apparent function fairly quickly.

As an anecdote: I had a friend take a cockroach down to 200' in a pressure pot for something like an hour, then shot him back to 1 atm

I guess it's difficult to get goats these days :wink:

As an anecdote: I had a friend take a cockroach down to 200' in a pressure pot for something like an hour, then shot him back to 1 atm. The bug twitched a few times, but regained all apparent function fairly quickly.

I have been called a lot worse than a cockroach and am fairly certain that the moniker provides zero immunity to DCS. :(

The real question is what PPO2 will OxTox cockroaches? :)

@Akimbo
Perhaps this question and the answer can be placed on the back burner until this crises is over. Then maybe we can obtain an answer from my son Sam IV who is currently very busy with very little free time.

SamIV, as your know is currently directing the battle against Covid 19 as an ER doctor -- The first contact with patients and the gateway to RX.

As you may recall SamIV is uniquely qualified to provide your answer,

He is a PADI instructor, a NAUI LIFE instructor and a recipient of the SSI Platinum Pro 5000

He graduated with honors as a Microbiologist, after the required one year probation set the Professional Microbio board and was awarded the title of "Professional Microbiologist "

He entered and graduated from, Medical School ,then competed a post Doc of 4 years in ER followed by 2 year Hyperbaric fellowship at Scrips in SD - he became bard certified in both ER & Hyperbaric medicine

So with his background and qualifications he would be qualified to provide a very leaned -experienced answer

~~~~~~~~~~~ But ~~~~~~
Currently he is fighting a battle and is very busy

Cheers from a smoky CenCal

Sam MillerIII

\

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom