Can you dive Pearl Harbor ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i've dove it,,, you wouldn't like it unless you like 1 foot vis and come out covered with oil, and as many others have stated, it would be disrespectful to do a "fun dive" there, kinda like having a bbq party at the graveyard

YOU DOVE IT!!! No way i am so jealous.

Cracckkk.... the sound of a round flying right over your head.......................

Kid, you need to read more carefully what people are trying to tell you: this is a sacred graveyard, not a recreational dive site!

Get it?

Cracckkk.... the sound of a round flying right over your head.......................

Kid, you need to read more carefully what people are trying to tell you: this is a sacred graveyard, not a recreational dive site!

Get it?

I understand that Gezz Chill out buddy i know this isn't a recreational dive site.

Oh how do you become a U.S. Navy Diver ?? My uncle is ignoring my questions about that

I just applied for it after I was already in the service. Then went into Pearl from Midway to take the entry test...swim 300M. maybe for time I can't remember; 30 push-ups and 30 sit ups in 60 sec. each; run a mile in boots in less than 8 min.; and do 6 pull-ups, no time limit (thank God!)...that was the physical test back in 1981.

Then we they put us in the deco-bell and took us to 130' to see if anyone would panic under such conditions. I'm pretty sure that was the full test, there might have been some written part of the exam, but I can't remember for sure.

If you are not already in, talk to a recruiter about it, there may be a waiting list, there usually is for the cool jobs like SeaBees and EOD (explosives) and divers. Don't let them talk you into something else, if that is what you want to do. They can sometimes try that stuff.

Here's the low down, and I'm not trying to scare you or talk you out of it, just trying to pass on the facts.

Navy diver's work is working under poor, nasty and dangerous conditions most of the time...this isn't pleasure diving in any shape or form. But you will be one of the military's elite, that's something special in it's self.

Allmost all Navy divers are "Hull Techs" or underwater welders. You will have to go to Hull Tech school for at least a year and learn to weld. Then to Navy dive school for another year to a year and a half and then I think back to Hull Tech school for at least 6 months to learn to weld underwater...it's quite a commitment.

After all that schooling the Navy will want at least a 6-8 year commitment out of you to "pay back" all that schooling.

It's pretty much a career job, that's the thing that led me to not take it. I didn't want to make the Navy my career.

Best wishes...

I just applied for it after I was already in the service. Then went into Pearl from Midway to take the entry test...swim 300M. maybe for time I can't remember; 30 push-ups and 30 sit ups in 60 sec. each; run a mile in boots in less than 8 min.; and do 6 pull-ups, no time limit (thank God!)...that was the physical test back in 1981.

Then we they put us in the deco-bell and took us to 130' to see if anyone would panic under such conditions. I'm pretty sure that was the full test, there might have been some written part of the exam, but I can't remember for sure.

If you are not already in, talk to a recruiter about it, there may be a waiting list, there usually is for the cool jobs like SeaBees and EOD (explosives) and divers. Don't let them talk you into something else, if that is what you want to do. They can sometimes try that stuff.

Here's the low down, and I'm not trying to scare you or talk you out of it, just trying to pass on the facts.

Navy diver's work is working under poor, nasty and dangerous conditions most of the time...this isn't pleasure diving in any shape or form. But you will be one of the military's elite, that's something special in it's self.

Allmost all Navy divers are "Hull Techs" or underwater welders. You will have to go to Hull Tech school for at least a year and learn to weld. Then to Navy dive school for another year to a year and a half and then I think back to Hull Tech school for at least 6 months to learn to weld underwater...it's quite a commitment.

After all that schooling the Navy will want at least a 6-8 year commitment out of you to "pay back" all that schooling.

It's pretty much a career job, that's the thing that led me to not take it. I didn't want to make the Navy my career.

Best wishes...

I know what your trying to say but i am still going to join the USCG Scuba Team because i want to serve my country and be in or on the ocean... I am a SCUBA Freak, Scuba Steve and Scuba Brett i am ether called those three names at school depending on the day and i love it. But does anyone know if its a well paying job working in the USCG Scuba Team or should i continue to keep going at school till 12th grade i am only in 9th and try to become a Marine Biologist?? I just would like to have a high paying or pretty well paying job .... Well wouldn't everyone in the world =)

I know what your trying to say but i am still going to join the USCG Scuba Team because i want to serve my country and be in or on the ocean... I am a SCUBA Freak, Scuba Steve and Scuba Brett i am ether called those three names at school depending on the day and i love it. But does anyone know if its a well paying job working in the USCG Scuba Team or should i continue to keep going at school till 12th grade i am only in 9th and try to become a Marine Biologist?? I just would like to have a high paying or pretty well paying job .... Well wouldn't everyone in the world =)

Get a four year college degree and join the USCG or NOAA Corps as an officer.

Get a four year college degree and join the USCG or NOAA Corps as an officer.

What is a USCG Officer does anyone know how to explain it.... Like how high of a rank or what level and what do they do ... if anyone knows.:D:D

I think someone needs some Ritalin

Not trying to talk you out of it by any means, I think it's great, just laying it out for you. Thanks for your willingness to serve our country at such a young age.

You need to talk to a recruiter, both Navy and Cost Guard, the 2 may have very different diving opportunities. I met a Navy diver on Cozumel last year that does something around oil rigs and I think working mostly on scuba rather than a hard hat rig. When I was in the ONLY Navy SCUBA divers were safety divers and I don't think that was a full-time job. You can always loose your mind and become an EOD or SEAL...they get to dive :D

First of all, stay in school as long as you can. A collage degree before going into the military would give you a HUGE advantage and higher pay grade from the beginning. You can still be a diver and an officer, many are.

There is A LOT of math involved in hard hat diving, take as much as that as you can. Also the more you know about the human body the better, health, physics, kinesiology; understanding the way your body is supposed to work and what can effect it can save your life at 200'+. Get your body and mind in top physical shape and keep them there.

Marine Biology is a great field that is ever expanding with new concerns of the ocean's health. Scientists generally work off grants and don't make a lot of money. The big payoff is, depending on your reasearch, you can get some really great gigs in very beautiful parts of the world.

Military pay isn't great no matter what job you have, compared to similar civilian positions. Divers of course make more because of training and hazardous duty pay, but it's nothing compared to commercial divers.

If you are looking to make money as a hard hat diver, there are several very good commercial diving schools around the country.

If you go to the Coasties, after you get out, you may want to give up the "muck & yuck" diving and go into "tourism diving", another option to think about. Although that necessarily isn't a high paying job either.

If you are serious about making diving a carreer in one way or another, I'd suggest continue moving up in certifications and work towards an Instructor's cert...just don't move up too soon, taking one cert after another just to have them, get some experience in between classes...it will make you a better diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom