Can you dive wet in Iceland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A member of my club wanted to dive it 2 years ago. Even as an instructor who teaches drysuit diving they wanted additional proof from me as the Diving Officer before they could dive the two continents. This was because they didn’t take their drysuit certification with them.
If you are talking about Silfra, I just presented my drysuit certification and there were no issues.
It says in my quote they had the problem because they DIDN’T take their drysuit cert with them.

When I dived Silfra it was August.
It was numbingly cold. We where using drysuits, multiple layers, heated vests, dry gloves and two hoods.
It took a long time to warm up between dives. Luckily, we where a private booking, so we had all day.

It was still draining, and noticeably dropped our core temperature over the 3 days we where there.

Remember this is ice cold glacial water.

Granted we where in a long time taking photographs. But it is still very cold. This is from someone who is going to Shetland for some 'warm water' diving in a few weeks time!

Didn’t even realise a drysuit certification was a thing. It’s just a tool used on every dive, like a heated vest.

Just found out that because I'm 60+, I need a physician's note as well. I might schedule a trip to a whisky bar instead :wink:
There are plenty to do in Iceland.
Nothing to see except you can touch two continents at the same time! Far out!
And the cost!

Didn’t even realise a drysuit certification was a thing. It’s just a tool used on every dive, like a heated vest.
BSAC provide a drysuit certification for all who do their core training in one. With the commercial agencies there is usually an extra charge. To hire a drysuit from a U.K. dive shop requires proof of drysuit certification.

BSAC provide a drysuit certification for all who do their core training in one. With the commercial agencies there is usually an extra charge. To hire a drysuit from a U.K. dive shop requires proof of drysuit certification.
Kind of my point is that the drysuit "qualification" is so trivial and 'novice' that you'd only bring your higher qualification cards (e.g. your Advanced Diver** certification -- correction: Advanced Instructor). Not even sure I still have my drysuit "qualification" card.

Which makes this thread kind of useful to know about.

** BSAC's Advanced Diver is a serious qualification unlike the novice PADI ticket.

** BSAC's Advanced Diver is a serious qualification unlike the novice PADI ticket.
(Made an assumption Edward - please correct me if I'm wrong)
You're right there isn't a commercial equivalent to Advanced Diver, what also confuses those overseas is my Advanced Instructor qualification

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom