can you fill your own tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

140 PSI makes for a superb potato gun. =)

We have guys around here who use old steel 72's to power their nailguns. Nice and portable, and they get quite a lot of shots off with just a standard fill.

Using a scuba tank as air supply for tools is fine but make certain that the regulator is putting out the right pressure for the tool.

My nail guns like 90 psi and they are rather harsh running on 125.
If I were using a tank to power them I would adjust the intermediate pressure for them.

I run my guns on 110 for 8's and 16's but trun it down to 85 for finishing nails and brads

pipedope once bubbled...
Using a scuba tank as air supply for tools is fine but make certain that the regulator is putting out the right pressure for the tool.

My nail guns like 90 psi and they are rather harsh running on 125.
If I were using a tank to power them I would adjust the intermediate pressure for them.

An older US Divers Conshelf 12 or 14 first stage makes a great reg for this as the IP is easily adjustable with a screwdriver and can be set as low as 10 psi, whihc also makes it excellent for supplying small airbrushes. Scuba air is clean, dry and oil free which makes it perfect for paintwork.

goldhunter_2 once bubbled...
all the above seems lot very good info and a great response:) I am not completely stuiped (no matter what my X says) I know I can't use a "garage compresor" to fill tanks with. I have three compresors and forgive me but there still packed away in Ga and I don't remeber name brands or exact pressures one is a large "garage type" , one is a small Hp elec , one is a Large two cyl air steel air tank with elec motor. The small one I can run 3 guns and runs off small generator the larger one I run three guns 16 penny nails but requires a 8000watt gen. I have had the large one for who nows how many years and never put a drop of oil in it (its proablly older then I am) and the small one I never added any oil in the last two-three years The Garage one I add oil Regular

maybe I will have all that down here in a few weeks and will write down all the specs and re-ask this

You want a compressor that puts out 3000 psi.

There's a guy over on the rec.scuba newsgroup that knows all about nail gun compressors and scuba.

goldhunter_2 once bubbled...
I run my guns on 110 for 8's and 16's but trun it down to 85 for finishing nails and brads

Ive been reading this thread and I dont get what your saying. Your using compressors that put out 120 or 140 psi and you want to fill a scuba tank that needs 2500+?? That aint gonna happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom