Can you identify this moray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abernat

Contributor
Reaction score
Seen in Bonaire this May. The colors are fairly accurate.

First-ever underwater photography!

From the search I just did, it looks like a golden morph, which would be part of the golden tail family(gymnothorax miliaris). Just a guess, so I'd imagine someone will come up with a "for sure" ID.

Marriard:
This is indeed a color variation of the Goldentail Moray (Gymnothorax milaris) that is reasonable common in Bonaire.
M
It's certainly a beauty. Reckon I'll have to keep my eyes peeled better next time I'm down there. In 7 trips I haven't seen that color combo.

abernat - what site?

Rick

Hello Abernat. Very nice photos. It would help to know the size of the eel, as goldentails only get to be 2-3 feet in length. However, from the distinctive yellow band in the eyes it looks like a goldentail with reverse coloration. The Humann book lists it as "rare", but I've seen several in Bonaire. Here's a look at what I am sure is a reverse color goldentail for comparison:

331bcda0.jpg

And a normally colored goldentail, also from Bonaire:

338bcd90.jpg

Clay

Thanks to all who figured this out for me. We saw it in about 15 feet of water at Angel City. It is small, definitely under 3 feet. I had read the Humann book, but wasn't sure that the spot pattern worked. And my daughter, who was the one to spot it, was definitely positively sure that it was a white chocolate moray :^)

abernat:
And my daughter, who was the one to spot it, was definitely positively sure that it was a white chocolate moray :^)
HHhhaarrr! Love it. If it ain't it oughta be...
What a beautiful animal. I hope it's still hanging out there for me on my next Bonaire trip.
Just gorgeous.
Thanks for sharing.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom