Can you really only use Sea & Sea Fiber cables with Sea & Sea strobes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for a little user info and advice. Is it true that you can you really only use Sea & Sea Fiber cables with Sea & Sea strobes? I have used generics with other strobes but never used Sea & Sea's. Would really like and advice I can get.
Thanks

Backscatter ones work fine...With D2Js. You likely shouldn’t stray too far from 613 fibre optics though.

Multi-fiber cords will cost a lot more than single fiber. The Weefine ones are cheaper than Nauticam or Sea & Sea’s. Pretty much any third party multi-fiber cord of decent build will cost $70+. That’s the reason I mentioned them.

Holy crap. I never realized what I paid for my cables. They were indeed $80 each. Although the housing attachments were included and with the weefine ones are $25extra for the housing attachments.

‘I suppose it’s testament to their durability, I shoot with the nauticam ones with a set of backup backscatter and I clearly had no idea what I paid for them...

It depends on what you are triggering the strobes with - there are a lot of threads from people having difficulty triggering S&S strobes with LED triggers and more so trying to get TTL to work. If you are using an on board flash the requirements are a bit looser particularly for manual triggering. INON strobes on the other hand have much more sensitive slave trigger sensors and are much easier to trigger.

There are quite nice 613 fiber cables from Tooke on ali express or you can make your own using 613 fiber if you want or you can try the 2 mm end glow fiber that Dave suggests but it is hard to coil and if you bend it too much it will stop working.
Bill

Hi Guys, I'm a cheapskate and proud of it.
I went to my local electronics store bought a couple of meters of fibre optic cable (no idea what one), bought some rubber grommets that were the right size for my SnS flashes drilled a small hole through grommets attached cables and been using them for 4 years,
Total cost $<10. I still have under a metre of spare cable if I have a problem. Only issue or advantage is that if they get hooked they come out rather than break.
BTW I am no smarty when it comes to DIY.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom