Can you share what you're using for weight belt systems on heavy undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious to see what people are using for heavy undergarments and weight belt systems. What's best suited? IIRC I need about 20lbs with no kit on to stay down. Maybe slightly less, xm450 under and clx450 suit.

Depending on the necessary distribution, I would probably put 3kg per side in weight pockets and put 4kg on a weightbelt (that actually adds up to 22lbs but in ball park numbers this is what I would do).

The problem I find with more than 4kg on a weightbelt is that it's cumbersome on the one hand and if you make a lot of dives in a short time (like, say 20 dives in a week) then your back will never forgive you if you put much more on the weightbelt. For one dive, if you can somehow keep it all from slipping off then you could manage the whole 20 hanging on your back.

R..

That said, my personal solution is to use a 2x12L steel tanks and a steel backplate. That way most of the weight comes from the intrinsic negative buoyancy from the set and I need very little, if any weight on the weightbelt, depending on the undergarment.

R..

For sidemount I have more weight pouches distributed around and a weight pack on my sms75 and steel tanks.
Could you elaborate, please? I had a "learning experience" on a recent dive (posted as "Craptacular Dives on a Beautiful Day" in the Sidemounting section; dunno how to link to other posts) and need to rethink my weight placement.

Here's my setup:
  • Hollis 75 BCD
  • 6-pocket weight-plate
  • 2 x HOG quick-dump waist pouches (5# capacity)
  • 2 x PST HP120 steel tanks
  • 400-gram DUI undergarment
  • Whites bilaminate drysuit
I figure that I need to distribute 20# of lead, maybe a smidge more, and I'm looking for suggestions on optimal placement.

35lb of lead castings on a belt. Not the most comfortable, but cheap and simple.

You could try casting some weights and adding them to your back-plate. I recently made a mold in the sand and used a cast iron pot to cast a some weights using shotgun lead shot.

Cast Iron Pot = $7.00
Sand = $1.50
Lead = $25.00(old purchase price probably more now)
White Gas Camping Stove = $35

How will you fasten the wing nuts on there

Dana,

I drilled through with 5/16 holes for the bolts and then used a 1in drill bit to make a pocket that the wingnuts on washers sat in

I use a 3mm steel backplate, 3 kg v-weight and now in winter with my 490 gram undersuit and as extra a heating system I use 4 kg on a weight belt. (2*2). And my light is 3 kg negative.
For sidemount with ali's I use 16 kg and a 1 kg negative light. As soon as possible I take thinner underwear. Sadly I am really bouyant myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom