Can you switch over from SSI to PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
10 years ago I got certified with SSI. As I now have the time to dive more often I am looking at doing some specialty courses and wanted to know what my options are. Do I need to stick with SSI moving forward or am I able to switch over to PADI which seems like a more popular and convenient option? Thanks in advance for the help!

i am sure SSI would appreciate you continued support. however if you do not have access to an SSI dive center then you are of course free to take any courses you like with any agency you like as long as you meet that agencies prerequisites.

i would suggest that you decide what your long term goals are in the sport first. do want to remain a sport diver or go pro ? perhaps take some advanced technical courses eventually ? then make sure the agency / dive shop you choose can get you there.

a lot of courses are recognized as "equivalents" by different agencies, but not all. so be mindful that when making your plan

Most agencies recognize credentials from each other. Sometimes the agency, or the dive shop, wants to see a log book for other discretionary items. If you want PADI's formal opinion, ask them. Knowing PADI, you'll have to take a "crossover dive certification equivalency course" before they can sell you anything else.(G)

From the 2017 PADI Instructor Manual:

Prerequisite Certifications

Continuing education courses have PADI, TecRec or EFR certification prerequisites. You may accept divers with certifications through other training organizations into a PADI course using this general guideline, and after conducting a knowledge and skill preassessment.

Qualifying Certification
Description:
1. PADI Scuba Diver — proof of an entry-level scuba certification with a minimum of two open water training dives.
2. PADI Open Water Diver — proof of an entry-level scuba certification with a minimum of four open water training dives.
3. PADI Adventure Diver — proof of certification beyond entry-level (at least two certifications total).
4. PADI Advanced Open Water Diver — proof of certification beyond entry-level (at least two certifications total); proof of 20 or more logged dives; documented experience in deep diving and underwater navigation.
5. PADI Rescue Diver — proof of certification in diving rescue.
6. EFR Primary Care — proof of current CPR training.
7. EFR Secondary Care — proof of current first aid training

Don't confuse Scuba diving "rules and guidelines" with federal and state laws. There's a lot of wiggle room in there. It's all about your own personal regard for safety and how much skills work you think you need for your type of diving.

As far as certifications go you can do whatever with whomever.

I've got a YMCA Basic certification, an SDI Solo Diver certification, PADI AOW certification and SSI AOW certification.

Don't ask me what I was thinking when I did all those courses especially the redundant AOW courses but more training can't possibly hurt.

You are at liberty to cross between agencies as you want. Most agencies have equivalent qualification levels, which are accepted as prerequisites for further training.

Switching from PADI to SSI is a lot easier than the other way around. If you are an SSI divemaster you can enroll directly into the PADI instructor course and then there is a simple 2-3 day SSI course to give you SSI instructor certification. If, however you are a SSI instructor and want to become a PADI instructor you will have to take the entire PADI instructor course again.

I just completed my SSI DM and am contemplating the same but will probably stick with SSI as my goal one day is to have my own dive shop and am not looking at the flexibility to work in the industry for too long.

10 years ago I got certified with SSI. As I now have the time to dive more often I am looking at doing some specialty courses and wanted to know what my options are. Do I need to stick with SSI moving forward or am I able to switch over to PADI which seems like a more popular and convenient option? Thanks in advance for the help!
You may, but the SSI zealots will hunt you down and drown you as an infidel apostate. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom