Can you switch over from SSI to PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are not really "switching" to PADI. You are just doing additional training with PADI. Switching would suggest you give up your SSI certification which is not the case at all. If you want to do specialties, PADI is hard to beat for availability and variety.
Take any training you want from any agency you want. If you have future plans of going pro I would stick with PADI but if not, it doesn't matter.

I'm going to answer based on two different assumptions:

Assumption you have no intention of going pro:

Take the classes you want! It all comes down to the instructor.

Assumption that you plan on going pro:

PADI worldwide does provide more opportunities, however, I would look at how far you want to go and what kind of program you wish to teach (being a divemaster is insuffiecient globally). In addition, I think you should consider what else you bring to the table: boat engine mechanic, compressor mechanic, foreign languages you speak, photo/video editing skills, i.e., additional hats you can wear that make you a much more valuable employee.

I started out in the PADI system, but have since crossed over to SDI and SSI, and have gone inactive with PADI. SSI is growing aggressively, and I'm pretty happy with their open water program. Hopefully my enthusiasm will be maintained when I go through the exceeding standards process.

You may, but the SSI zealots will hunt you down and drown you as an infidel apostate. :)

i learned a new word today. yay for me

Might be silly question, but can you take the SSI online, classroom and pool sessions and then do your open water certification with PADI?

Might be silly question, but can you take the SSI online, classroom and pool sessions and then do your open water certification with PADI?
No, not without jumping through some additional hoops.

To my knowledge you can pretty much do what you want -- ie. "climb the ladder" by adding courses with different agencies. For example, take OW with agency #1, AOW with #2, Rescue with #3, or back to 1, etc.

To my knowledge once you reach the pro level (DM or DiveCon), you can't go to a higher cert. like Instructor-- with a different agency than where you got your DM, unless you do SOMETHING---ie. some kind of "cross-over", an exam perhaps, some in water sessions, classroom time?

No, not without jumping through some additional hoops.
Agreed. I don't have chapter and verse in front of me, but while it is not impossible, it is also not frictionless. I think that is understandable in the absence of identical course content and training standards.

Understood and thanks for the quick response.

I ask because LDS here that I prefer and feel comfortable at is SSI, but going to Florida after Xmas and will have opportunity to do open water cert, but of course only PADI shops in the area!

Thanks

Contact them now and ask. Many instructors are qualified for both, and it won’t be too hard to find one working at a PADI shop. Find out about cross referral while you are at it. Won’t be the first time someone asked.

i recommend contacting padi and/or ssi directly for an up to date answer.

that said, as i understand the process, you can complete the ssi ow online, pool, and exam. the ssi shop will issue you a referral diver cert. they will also provide you with all necessary paper work. you can then take that paper work, which is a "universal referral form", and go to any "participating agency" to complete your training. i believe that padi does NOT actively participate in that universal program. however, individual padi instructors can choose to participate.

so unless things have changed, which they may have, you actually could complete your training with a padi instructor "if" that instructor is willing to use the universal form to complete your training. they will issue you a temporary cert to use until you receive your ow diver cert card. you would also be able to pay extra to have the padi instructor issue you a padi cert. you also can return to your local ssi shop that did your initial training and have them complete the process for your ssi cert. i personally see no reason to have a padi and an ssi cert. i would save the money and have my local shop provide the ssi cert card.

pls verify the info i included as it may be out of date.

btw.....if you need assistance finding an ssi shop in the location you want to do your dives pls let me know and i will try to help locate one.

Back
Top Bottom