Canadian Buying Gear....need help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are in a great location for some excellent wreck diving around the Great Lakes and the best way to enjoy that is in a drysuit. Yes you can do it in a wetsuit, I did for many years, but I would not go back to that,

Lots of opinions already and I’ll add my 2 cents. I wouldn’t go spend 2k+ on equipment before I’m even certified. You might like it, love it or hate it! Cold water diving is a different beast than warm water diving. It took me a few years but I finally realized cold water diving isn’t for me. I doubt I will ever do it again. Optimal gear for warm water/travel diving is different than for local diving. Even if you chose the backplate and wing option, there’s a difference in which wing size is best, and steel or aluminum or carbon fibre plate. The first bc I bought, which I thought could “do it all”, I really dislike now. You do evolve as a diver so I’d give it some time before spending so much money.

As for buying from the US, I’ve found that for the brands I wanted to buy, it was cheaper buying locally, after all has been settled. Foreign exchange is about 35% more (including bank conversion fees), then there’s 13% HST, and customs duties, which can vary from 0% to a ridiculous amount, depending on the item. Then there are shipping fees and if you use a courier company over USPS, you’re looking at some ridiculous pricing for brokerage fees. All that adds up. What I’ve said above requires no lying to customs, which is what I prefer. Others will do what they are comfortable with and I don’t judge.

When I bought my Deep6 regs from the US I was charged about 40% on top of my purchase price in shipping, taxes and duties. I don’t think I will do that again. I used USPS/Canada Post.

Dan’s Dive Shop is a good shop and prices are fair but I’ve had better deals in the GTA. I’ve noticed the pricing has become much more competitive in the GTA in the last couple of years due to new ownership of some stores. The old ownership were inflexible with pricing and brands. The new ownership is different. They all have websites and you can certainly call around to see who can give you a better price.

I bought a lot of gear in the last couple of years and have had great deals on a lot of it. Not complaining, although I wish I had waited a bit with my bc and regs. I would’ve made different choices.

Final thought. I wouldn’t buy the rental set. From my memory they’re pretty “used” and they’re used in the pool a lot for training...and pools have chlorine.

Lots of opinions already and I’ll add my 2 cents. I wouldn’t go spend 2k+ on equipment before I’m even certified. You might like it, love it or hate it! Cold water diving is a different beast than warm water diving. It took me a few years but I finally realized cold water diving isn’t for me. I doubt I will ever do it again. Optimal gear for warm water/travel diving is different than for local diving. Even if you chose the backplate and wing option, there’s a difference in which wing size is best, and steel or aluminum or carbon fibre plate. The first bc I bought, which I thought could “do it all”, I really dislike now. You do evolve as a diver so I’d give it some time before spending so much money.

As for buying from the US, I’ve found that for the brands I wanted to buy, it was cheaper buying locally, after all has been settled. Foreign exchange is about 35% more (including bank conversion fees), then there’s 13% HST, and customs duties, which can vary from 0% to a ridiculous amount, depending on the item. Then there are shipping fees and if you use a courier company over USPS, you’re looking at some ridiculous pricing for brokerage fees. All that adds up. What I’ve said above requires no lying to customs, which is what I prefer. Others will do what they are comfortable with and I don’t judge.

When I bought my Deep6 regs from the US I was charged about 40% on top of my purchase price in shipping, taxes and duties. I don’t think I will do that again. I used USPS/Canada Post.

Dan’s Dive Shop is a good shop and prices are fair but I’ve had better deals in the GTA. I’ve noticed the pricing has become much more competitive in the GTA in the last couple of years due to new ownership of some stores. The old ownership were inflexible with pricing and brands. The new ownership is different. They all have websites and you can certainly call around to see who can give you a better price.

I bought a lot of gear in the last couple of years and have had great deals on a lot of it. Not complaining, although I wish I had waited a bit with my bc and regs. I would’ve made different choices.

Final thought. I wouldn’t buy the rental set. From my memory they’re pretty “used” and they’re used in the pool a lot for training...and pools have chlorine.

Well said!

Certainly in the BSAC club where I gained my early training and valuable sea experience, not everyone stuck at diving. I hope that you do. A previous diving officer told me that on average people stayed in the club for around 3 years, the majority not diving further. A few dived in all conditions for decades.I am sure that for the masses who certify through PADI, few become long term , frequent, divers as well.
I have spent a small fortune on dive kit over many years, a significant proportion of which I now regret.
Never forget the most valuable bit of kit is your brain.
Have a great deal of fun, it's a wonderful passion to have.

Got you there. Here's a checklist of stuff you will/may want as you go forward:

Good list but there are many things on that list a new diver can defer to later.
5,6,7,8,12,13,14,15,16,18,19,20,22,23 can all be deferred.
19 and 20 should be deferred until buoyancy is good.

Spend the money on diving locally and gaining experience. Find out if you are a cold water diver or a warm water vacation diver.

Good list but there are many things on that list a new diver can defer to later.
5,6,7,8,12,13,14,15,16,18,19,20,22,23 can all be deferred.
19 and 20 should be deferred until buoyancy is good.

Spend the money on diving locally and gaining experience. Find out if you are a cold water diver or a warm water vacation diver.

Or if you'll be continuing at all...

There are items on that list that I've never had/needed or wanted...and I've been diving since 1980...

W.M...

@Gee.Eleven since you said you are in the Niagara area, in addition to Dan's in St. Catherine's, if you find yourself heading up the QEW toward the GTA one day, you might try stopping in at The Dive Academy in Oakville. Dean is a great guy who is full of advice and genuinely wants to ensure that you get the gear that is right for you and for your needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom