• Welcome to ScubaBoard

  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cancellation of booked trips

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by Indah, Mar 18, 2020.

  1. FishCity

    FishCity Contributor

    That's great @BigJeff!

    We are eager to take our trip but just don't know when travel will open up for us. Really need a vaccine. :(
  2. ontdiver

    ontdiver Solo Diver

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Ottawa, Ontario
    Yes - w/o a vaccine and comprehensive travel insurance, I think we are all stuck in limbo for the time being.
  3. tgarvin

    tgarvin Registered

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: Texas

    Kudos to the NAD Lembeh owners to allow for the credit. I have been checking on the family of one of the dive guides through text messages since this started. My understanding is that owners of NAD have continued to pay the staff (even if it's reduced) during all of this. I think this speaks volumes to how much the owners care about the people that make NAD such a special place.
    dirtfarmer and Mike Veitch like this.
  4. LandlockedDVR

    LandlockedDVR New

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Atlanta, GA
    Good News! I negotiated a fully transferrable VOUCHER from a 5-star, resort in Indonesia (Wakatobi National Park, same diving as Raja Ampat, including Giant Mantas), good for dates through Dec. 2022! We pre-paid over $8k for a 7-night stay this very week on a little island sitting on the world's most pristine coral reef. An Ocean Bungalow (A/C 2 beds), all meals, free water and juices, unlimited snorkeling from boats and on the massive house reef, charter jet from Bali to and from the resort. It's taken several weeks since I sent the initial email request, but they were open to the fact that we CANNOT get way out there in the next 2 years, no way. Our flights were all canceled- we're getting only one of them refunded, the rest are vouchers we will never use. But I'm glad we are able to pass this voucher on to a couple who are avid divers, love the ocean, and appreciate being on one of the last of the thriving tropical coral reefs on our planet. Goes to show you- it's worth trying to claw back some of your COVID-related travel costs.:wink:
    chillyinCanada likes this.
  5. urbaneve71

    urbaneve71 ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Gulf Coast
    Here's the issue...

    In normal times cancelation policies are put in place for a reason....but....this is an unprecedented time. I would have liked to recoup my losses of my trips this year BECAUSE I am working to earn more income to replace what I have lost. At this point I am out over 2000 between various trips for 2020. That 2000 is rent, food and power. Now before some of you jump on the soap box -- the reason I would like to recoup my spent money is because I do not have any income coming in at this point. And....since I received an email from my employer that stated I was permantely furloughed. I do not know when I will see an income again. So to issue me a airline voucher and a vacation voucher does me no good for future travel if I am not working (and its not from lack of trying to find work either)

    I feel for the small businesses ---- but feeding and providing a roof for my son has to come first before ANY business interest. Now some of you may not like what I have stated here --but I think deep down..you may agree with me.
    Newdiv and chillyinCanada like this.
  6. Ministryofgiraffes

    Ministryofgiraffes Contributor

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Toronto
    certainly a tough situation for you and for many others. Stay positive, things will get better.

    surely you can see that your argument is basically the exact argument that the other side of the equation is usually using for not issuing refunds, but credits instead etc. ‘We have to feed our families so we don’t want to honour agreements etc’. It’s a very tough situation...

    I do think that after all of this is over, there will need to be some pretty solid booking clauses around pandemics and port of origins being closed etc. It will change everything. Nothing will really be unprecedented.. people are going to want ‘alien invasion’ clauses..
    chillyinCanada likes this.
  7. SeaWarden

    SeaWarden Contributor

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Singapore
    And if there are any reasonable priced equipment for sales, let me know, I wouldn't mind helping your business stay alive. :):wink:
  8. Mike1967

    Mike1967 Contributor

    # of Dives: 100 - 199
    Location: Victoria, Australia
  9. Edward3c

    Edward3c Instructor, Scuba

    I had a hotel booking made with a no-refund. However, I asked for a refund or a credit because of the virus, not expecting anything. By return they confirmed a full refund. I’ve no hesitation in using the resort again.

    Your initial response has damaged your resort’s credibility such that I wouldn’t consider booking in the future now.
  10. Indah

    Indah Contributor

    # of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Location: Weda, Lembeh and Rao Morotai
    I understand and respect your point of view. But I am not sure if you aware of the fact that people voluntarely choose to book with a 10% discount on the prepaid part of their reservation with the very clear awareness they there would be no refund possible. Instead they could book without any deposit payment and pay the full amount at the end of their stay. This was clearly mentioned in the offerte, on our websites and on the invoice. And I asked their attention for this again in a mail, before I accepted the reservation with prepayment. Often I received a reply they understood and that their insurrance would cover in case they would have to cancel. However, now we will now have to reconsider our rates and condtions completely. No idea at all what the next 18 - 24 months will bring.
    After the discussion on this board and other input we decided to offer our guests that they will have a full credit for the amount they paid (in Indonesian Rupiah), to be spend at any of our 3 resorts and this is without a time limit. And they can instead transfer the credit to somebody else as well.

    Our (until recent) policy:


    To confirm your booking you only have to provide us with your full name(s) and a copy of your confirmed flight itinerary.

    Payment can be done at the end of your stay, by internet banking, cash*, debit card or credit card.

    Payment can also be done in advance. If you want to prepay, we offer you a 10% discount on the part of your reservation you pay in advance. This discount is not valid for the transfers by boat, car and airplane. To receive the 10% discount, you have to ask for this when you make the reservation and let us know which part of your booking you want to prepay. We will send you an invoice promptly and the invoice must been paid within 1 week after receiving your invoice. For any reservation made shorter than 30 days before your arrival date, we cannot offer this discount. By paying when you make your reservation you exclude also possible negative fluctuations in the exchange rates. Please note that there is no refund at all of this amount in case you cancel your trip, for whatever reason. Please note that we release temporary reservations after 7 days if we did not receive a copy of your tickets or a payment.
    chillyinCanada likes this.

Share This Page