Cancellation of booked trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob Sinke
Here you can see what we did with our money the last 15 years. 900 hectares protected forest, 5 schools, a sea turttle protection project and more. We do not drink, do not smoke, never go on holidays, spend hardly anything on gadgets and cloth. But we made the mistake not to see this disaster coming.

Hi Indah

My comment was not aimed at you but at the broad spread of operators that will not be refunding money.

I think very few people think refunds are absolutely required. But I still don’t see how allowing rebooking hurts. Are you running at 100% at all times? That’s the only case where allowing rebooking will hurt you; if it takes the spot of an otherwise new customer who cannot be served.

I think very few people think refunds are absolutely required. But I still don’t see how allowing rebooking hurts. Are you running at 100% at all times? That’s the only case where allowing rebooking will hurt you; if it takes the spot of an otherwise new customer who cannot be served.
Please keep in mind we do not demand a deposit payment. And we clearly state several times before the booking : if you cancel for whatever reason there will be no refund at all. We are having only 8 rooms in our resorts. We offered re-scheduling as I mentioned before. Without a time limit. But we offered that the guest could use a maximum of 50% of the new bill for this rescheduled booking. Many only prepaid the full board accommodation, which as they mention themselves, is covered by their insrurance. When they want to pre-pay dives we write again in the mail: please note there will be no refund. For the ones which only paid the accommodation the final bill will be more than twice the credit. They lose nothing. Other decided to come a bit longer or combine 2 of our resort and use the full credit. If a part of the credit is left, it can be used for a future trip.

Indah isn't on Bali but even if his little place was on Bali, if tourism takes too long to come back and supposedly loyal customers aren't willing to forego what to them, is a small amount of money, well who knows.

Hang in there Indah. It's going to be some lean times for most everyone, even on this side of the world but you can make it. One day at a time.
Thanks a lot. It indeed will be hard on everyone and everywhere.

Absolutely pathetic.

Some operators offer full refund without any question asked but some will NOT and citing all those excuses especially based on their cancellation policy.
I have never seen any cancellation policy favours the customers.

Think of it this way: if a full refund was NEVER part of the original policy or T&C and an option on the table, especially considering how many days prior to the trip it is now and what policy applies at that point when things are normal, why would you expect or demand a refund now? That is a very one-sided resolution for the customer and as the customer, I feel is not fair at all for the ops IMO.

also, if an op wants to go above and beyond to refund because they can or want to, great. Awesome. That does not mean that every op must now do that while considering what I mentioned above. Expecting or asking that is just, in harsh words, a sense of entitlement and demanding.

Think of it this way: if a full refund was NEVER part of the original policy or T&C and an option on the table, especially considering how many days prior to the trip it is now and what policy applies at that point when things are normal, why would you expect or demand a refund now? That is a very one-sided resolution for the customer and as the customer, I feel is not fair at all for the ops IMO.

Fair enough, but not allowing rescheduling, keeping the 100% paid for trip - no refunds, not even partial - after having to cancel due to travel restrictions is the situation I find myself in with my provider - that certainly is not fair for the customer.

We kept asking for reschedule options over and over again, and were denied at every single turn, including after the level 4 travel alert and the closure of Sorong. So, I am supposed to take a $13,000 loss and be happy about it?

The money received for these booked trips is often already spent.
Scary stuff. Americans are used to that sort of thing being a crime, hence the expectation that it isn't going to be the case.

Please keep in mind we do not demand a deposit payment. And we clearly state several times before the booking : if you cancel for whatever reason there will be no refund at all. We are having only 8 rooms in our resorts. We offered re-scheduling as I mentioned before. Without a time limit. But we offered that the guest could use a maximum of 50% of the new bill for this rescheduled booking. Many only prepaid the full board accommodation, which as they mention themselves, is covered by their insrurance. When they want to pre-pay dives we write again in the mail: please note there will be no refund. For the ones which only paid the accommodation the final bill will be more than twice the credit. They lose nothing. Other decided to come a bit longer or combine 2 of our resort and use the full credit. If a part of the credit is left, it can be used for a future trip.

your customer is not requesting to cancel or refund, though. She is asking to come at a later time given the current circumstance and is asking to reschedule. A change in reservation dates, if you will. No change to duration or cost. Your offer is not for a reschedule. Your offer is not being conveyed to her as a reschedule but is basically an offer for 50% off regular prices assuming her trip length and costs are the same if/when she decides to return.

If she did not pre-pay and couldn’t come because of COVID, you would have been no better off financially because you would not have taken any money from her but would have reserved a spot for her to come soon anyway. She pre-paid and has given you the time opportunity of money and has agreed to no refund. You can do what you wish with that money. She is asking to come later and not now.

this is essentially the same as a particular liveaboard that is giving vouchers worth 40% of the value of the sailing that can be applied to a future trip. 40% off.

upload_2020-3-22_5-25-36.png
Have now made my banned list.
Aggressor
Damai
Oceanic
Mares
Hollis
Aqualung
Suunto

The list gets ever longer

Reactions: Jay
View attachment 575384 Have now made my banned list.
Aggressor
Damai
Oceanic
Mares
Hollis
Aqualung
Suunto

The list gets ever longer

I have (had... :cry: ) an Aggressor sailing for April 12 and I am being issued a voucher. Same sailing, same boat, same room. I think that’s really fair. They’re also issuing if you have health issues or if you feel you are older and high risk, according to their website. I haven’t tried claiming the other 2 though. I suppose there have been other issues with Aggressor that is probably swaying you and I respect that.

Back
Top Bottom