Cancellation Policy Changes at Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not booking at all will not help the struggling businesses at all.

What's the risk due to "uncertainty" if everything you book is refundable or you just book on arrival? This nonrefundable deposit policy is the exception not the norm. Plenty of other places are surviving without policies like this.
And plenty of others are not surviving at all. I don't see how this is different from buying nonrefundable plane tix; if you cancel you don't get your money back, only credit toward future travel. As long as BA is being up front about it, the choice is ours to book or not to book.

And plenty of others are not surviving at all. I don't see how this is different from buying nonrefundable plane tix; if you cancel you don't get your money back, only credit toward future travel. As long as BA is being up front about it, the choice is ours to book or not to book.

Name a few Cozumel dive ops and hotels that have not survived at all.

Except airlines ended that policy - directly due to the pandemic. United claims it is permanent for domestic and Canada/Mexico. So they have taken the exact opposite approach in offering customers greater flexibility in order to entice business. Who do you think has more accountants and marketing analysts - BA or United?

I was pretty clear earlier when I said a business has the right to adopt any policies they choose, no matter what we think of them. But we also have a right to comment on those policies and express our views both with our dollars and our words.

Name a few Cozumel dive ops and hotels that have not survived at all.

Except airlines ended that policy - directly due to the pandemic. United claims it is permanent for domestic and Canada/Mexico. So they have taken the exact opposite approach in offering customers greater flexibility in order to entice business. Who do you think has more accountants and marketing analysts - BA or United?

I was pretty clear earlier when I said a business has the right to adopt any policies they choose, no matter what we think of them. But we also have a right to comment on those policies and express our views both with our dollars and our words.

Actually I was speaking more in general; there are lots of businesses here in Austin that have not survived the pandemic. I am certain that on Cozumel there will be many business failures as well before this thing is over. I sincerely hope that Blue Angel is not one of them.

In so-called normal times we accept conditions like these when we buy plane tix, so it's not unheard of. And of course we can comment all we like in here but it won't make any difference; we can vote either way with our dollars and that's what we should do. Speaking strictly for myself I can imagine scenarios where I would make a reservation at BA with their policy in place. YMMV.

Actually I was speaking more in general; there are lots of businesses here in Austin that have not survived the pandemic. I am certain that on Cozumel there will be many business failures as well before this thing is over. I sincerely hope that Blue Angel is not one of them.

In so-called normal times we accept conditions like these when we buy plane tix, so it's not unheard of. And of course we can comment all we like in here but it won't make any difference; we can vote either way with our dollars and that's what we should do. Speaking strictly for myself I can imagine scenarios where I would make a reservation at BA with their policy in place. YMMV.

I figured so. We are talking about Cozumel hotels and dive ops. If you need to expand the discussion to other places and industries to make your point then your point is irrelevant.

Nobody ever liked that economy airfares were nonrefundable and carried steep change penalties but it was the norm for the industry as a whole. The fact we had little alternative in that industry is no justification to accept a similar policy in another industry where it is not the norm.

I figured so. We are talking about Cozumel hotels and dive ops. If you need to expand the discussion to other places and industries to make your point then your point is irrelevant.
Not at all. Cozumel is within the generality of which I was speaking. I know of specific failures here, but they are indeed irrelevant. That I don't know what specific businesses on the island will not survive does not negate the point.

My point about airfares isn't that they are right or wrong but that we accepted their terms when that's what they were. Time will tell, but I am confident that when this thing is over the airlines' policies will revert to what they were pre pandemic and we will accept them just as we did in the before times.

This is as far as I am going with this increasingly pointless conversation. Feel free to have the last word.

Not at all. Cozumel is within the generality of which I was speaking. I know of specific failures here, but they are indeed irrelevant. That I don't know what specific businesses on the island will not survive does not negate the point.

My point about airfares isn't that they are right or wrong but that we accepted their terms when that's what they were. Time will tell, but I am confident that when this thing is over the airlines' policies will revert to what they were pre pandemic and we will accept them just as we did in the before times.

This is as far as I am going with this increasingly pointless conversation. Feel free to have the last word.

When I said plenty of places are surviving without such a policy I was referring to hotels and dive ops on Cozumel, not bars and restaurants in Austin. Your counter that some places are not surviving is not a valid counter to my statement unless you can point to hotels and dive ops on Cozumel.

We accepted the airline terms because all the airlines adopted similar terms and we had no real alternative. If the day ever comes when all hotels in Coz require nonrefundable deposits then we may have to accept those terms. But until then, we do not.

You seem rather "confident" and "sure" about a lot of things for someone that admits you "don't know" what will happen.

When I said plenty of places are surviving without such a policy I was referring to hotels and dive ops on Cozumel, not bars and restaurants in Austin. Your counter that some places are not surviving is not a valid counter to my statement unless you can point to hotels and dive ops on Cozumel.

We accepted the airline terms because all the airlines adopted similar terms and we had no real alternative. If the day ever comes when all hotels in Coz require nonrefundable deposits then we may have to accept those terms. But until then, we do not.

You seem rather "confident" and "sure" about a lot of things for someone that admits you "don't know" what will happen.
As I said, increasingly pointless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom