Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, all. Sorry for my radio silence and lack of visiting SB...The company I work for has some aspects of it which are deemed essential during the lockdown so they have been re-opening our stores gradually and I have been "on the ground" and helping our stores and away from my usual desk job, hence the significantly reduced time on SB.

I have updated the log today, May 21 for everything except for the one about the Arenui (waiting for more detail).

I spoke to a very friendly United customer service agent over the weekend. As you all know, they have extended the validity of the vouchers they are issuing for 2 years. She confirmed that they just have to be USED by the 2 year expiration date, but actual date of travel and completion of travel is another matter. Since they generally publish schedules about a year in advance, that leaves you with almost 3 years to use it if you consider the actual date of travel as well.

@manumachin Any updates? Are they still holding steady on their request for 30-40% more than the balance which you have paid?

Is your voucher open-ended for any boat/destination? I'm all about Indonesia! :D

Have you asked them what will happen if you pay the full deposit and you are unable to go because there are either no flights to go (canceled), a travel ban (whether exit of your home country or entry into Indonesia), or domestic travel issues (issued by Indonesia, such as the current one in place now which has a domestic ban on air/land/sea/)? It sounds like they are moving forward with the trip as if nothing is going to change and they are acting based on the regular policies. Please update me and let me know so I can log it properly - I haven't logged the Arenui one yet.

Thanks.

I don't want to send them any more money, they treated me horribly and if they end up declaring bankruptcy then I loose much more than what I already am out.

Hi, all. Sorry for my radio silence and lack of visiting SB...The company I work for has some aspects of it which are deemed essential during the lockdown so they have been re-opening our stores gradually and I have been "on the ground" and helping our stores and away from my usual desk job, hence the significantly reduced time on SB.

I have updated the log today, May 21 for everything except for the one about the Arenui (waiting for more detail).

I spoke to a very friendly United customer service agent over the weekend. As you all know, they have extended the validity of the vouchers they are issuing for 2 years. She confirmed that they just have to be USED by the 2 year expiration date, but actual date of travel and completion of travel is another matter. Since they generally publish schedules about a year in advance, that leaves you with almost 3 years to use it if you consider the actual date of travel as well.

@manumachin Any updates? Are they still holding steady on their request for 30-40% more than the balance which you have paid?

Is your voucher open-ended for any boat/destination? I'm all about Indonesia! :D

Have you asked them what will happen if you pay the full deposit and you are unable to go because there are either no flights to go (canceled), a travel ban (whether exit of your home country or entry into Indonesia), or domestic travel issues (issued by Indonesia, such as the current one in place now which has a domestic ban on air/land/sea/)? It sounds like they are moving forward with the trip as if nothing is going to change and they are acting based on the regular policies. Please update me and let me know so I can log it properly - I haven't logged the Arenui one yet.

Thanks.
Just realized that I replied to the wrong thread, I'm new, sorry. I don't want to send them any more money as they have made it clear there are never any refunds under any circumstances. Anyone with a policy this strict leads me to think they must have some liquidity issues. If and when they file bankruptcy, I'm only out the $4,000.00 deposit instead of the entire cost of the trip. IF YOU WANT TO TO TO INDONESIA, TRY WAKATOBI, THEY ARE AWESOME! They actually did give me a full refund a few years back when I was planning a second trip to their incredible resort but had to cancel.

It is a tough situation but I am in the camp of thought that believes that because it was not possible for you to get into the country and they canceled the sailing anyway, through this unprecedented time and special circumstance, the least they could do is to extend you the same trip in August without having you pay more. They aren't incurring any additional costs by doing this as a result and if anything, the amount they are trying to charge you will be offset by the bad publicity that they will be getting based on their decisions and policies. How many people will now cancel or not book with them because of this?

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I have added this to the log for you. Thanks for providing more clarity. I hope you get a better resolution and please keep us posted if you do. We received an unacceptable response from our liveaboard and it was our agent who really helped be our advocate to get a solution that was agreeable and more fair for everyone involved. See if they can further help you and at the very least, you can share the word so others are aware.
What post number can we find the "log"? Is this the blacklist of live aboards you're compiling?

What post number can we find the "log"? Is this the blacklist of live aboards you're compiling?

It isn’t meant to be a blacklist. I originally created it to give folks an idea of what outcomes were with specific fleets/resorts/liveaboards/dive ops so others know what to expect and to be able to negotiate/counter or what is possible with them and to be able to suggest some of those resolutions with their own resorts/liveaboards/dive ops.

I will say that it has been very eye opening....my experiences and my observation of other outcomes that you have all shared will definitely sway me in the future when I choose who to dive with, that’s for sure.

Here's our experience with refunds/credits/cancellations for a 4 week trip to Indonesia, planned 1.5 yrs in advance for May 2020.

- Return flights North America to Jakarta, with EVA Air, were fully refunded at our request, no problems.

- 9 Day trip at Misool Eco Resort, had been paid in full. No refunds, but "credited" us with 24 months to re-use. Bonus: it was booked at 2019 rates and they are allowing us to re-book at our 2019 rates. About a 20% gift.

- 8 day trip on Mermaid II. 25% deposit paid, balance was still owing. No refunds, but credit to re-book up to 24 months to use as well.

- several hotel rooms for airport layovers and 4 days in Bali all booked using Expedia. All refunded in full via Expedia. Very smooth process and refunded within weeks.

- Finally, flights with Garuda Airlines for Jakarta to Sorong and back. No refunds, and they demanded them to be re-booked by June this year, and used by June 2021. Therefore this rendered our 24 months credit windows with all of the above, useless, unless we wanted to kiss goodbye about $800 of Garuda flight costs.

Results: We re-booked both Misool & Mermaid II for June 2021 with compatable dates to get to both of them in June 2021, and use the Garuda credits in time. Will re-book the EVA flights asap, and various hotel rooms later.

So, assuming travel and pandemic situations allow us to go next June, I think we did okay. If we are able to get the EVA flights at similar rates, we will not be out any money.

Like everyone else, disappointed we couldn't go on our trip (20th anniversary present to ourselves) but now looking forward to next June! Hopefully!

I am now ready to share my experience about my two cancelled live-aboards with Blue O Two/Worldwide Dive and Sail/Masterliveaboards (all one company) – the Siren Fleet, specifically the Philippines Siren and the Palau Siren. There’s been some criticisms in this forum about posters withholding specific dive operator names, but if the outcome was not in my favor, I would still have to deal with them to use credits or vouchers after naming them for their misdeeds.

The Philippines Siren trip was to start on May 16, 2020, to Tubbataha, followed by the Palau Siren from May 25 to June 1, 2020. The total cost of these two trips with Blue O Two (I’ll call them BOT) was $7304. Final payment was March 17, 2020. On March 14th I e-mailed them about the status of the trip. (They’re based in Thailand and I could never speak with a real person, only by e-mail.) BOT informed me that the trips were still going (even though the Philippines borders were closing).

On March 18th, one day after final payment and having my $7304 in hand, they cancelled both trips. I find it highly suspicious they waited till the day after final payment to then cancel the trip when I had just inquired four days before. I then requested a refund per their cancellation policy to which they refused and only offered me a credit voucher for future use, which would be a worthless piece of paper if they go bankrupt. Here’s their cancellation options from their web site: “If we have to make a significant change or cancel, we will tell you as soon as possible and if there is time to do so before departure, we will offer you the choice of:

1. (for significant changes) accepting the changed arrangements; or
  2. cancelling your booking and having a refund of all monies paid; or
  3. if available and where we offer one, accepting an offer of an alternative holiday (we will refund any price difference if the alternative is of a lower value).”
Tubbataha is a difficult trip to reserve because of the limited amount of boat operators and the small window of time to travel there. I had booked this trip in January 2019. After a couple more e-mails back and forth, I repeated that I wasn’t interested in a credit for future travel and I wanted the refund. They still refused, so I filed a dispute with my Citibank Visa on March 20th, and I was told that the process would be resolved by June 9th. I received word this week that the dispute was resolved in my favor and I received the $7304 back.

There was a lot of moving parts to this trip, multiple airfares and hotels and transfers pre, post, and in between trips. I have now received refunds for all my cancellations. Philippines Airlines is 90 days out from posting their refunds, so I should see that sometime this month. My total investment for this vacation was over $11,000.

For some added factual context, on March 9th, I got an e-mail promotion that they will refund new bookings in full (yet they won’t refund existing bookings that they cancelled). Here’s what the promo said: “If you make a new booking with us, between the 9th March to 30th April you can cancel your live-aboard space and receive a full refund. From the 9th March, any new bookings will be refunded or moved to a later date if you are unable to travel due to COVID-19.”

I also received an e-mail on March 30th stating that they were partially shutting down their operation. The e-mail says in part: “We want to say a massive thank you to all of you for bearing with us through this period. We are still very much active, albeit with a much smaller, core team. As of today, 30th March, we are going into a period of semi-hibernation. The team will be responding to queries and reaching out to you chronologically by sailing date. Please do continue to bear with us as the volume of enquires is large. To help us manage this, our inbound phone lines and LiveChat will not be operational during this period. If you have a query then please email it through. We are doing everything we can to ensure we remain a viable business and can continue to provide inspirational experiences for our customers. The action of refusing to pay an outstanding balance has a huge knock-on effect. Ultimately, we won't be able to pay our suppliers, who then will be unable to provide the service you desire and will themselves be unable to pay their staff and suppliers. The consequences and repercussions are wide-ranging. You could be contributing to the downfall of many companies and many livelihoods. Please work with us on this because your money is safe.”

Those are the facts for my experience.

Here’s my opinion. BOT is actually saying that their customers will contribute to their downfall if we don’t pay them for a service we may never get! They want to blame their customers for their poor business practices such that they don't have the capital reserve to weather some hard times! That is ridiculous!! My money is safe?? Uh, are you a bank? No! BOT has shown an obvious disregard for customers, and I have serious doubts about the viability of this company. They will forever be on my do not travel list.

I was supposed to be on a liveaboard trip in the Philippines right now on the Stella Maris at Tubbataha reef. Of course it was canceled. The trip was booked through Liveaboard.com and they contacted All Star Liveaboards and I received a 100% voucher for a future trip. I went ahead and booked for May 2021 and the voucher also covered the price increase for next year which was great. My airfare that I booked to the Philippines through Orbitz was a whole different story---flights were canceled by Asiana Airlines and Orbitz notified me I was receiving a voucher for the whole cost of the flight and a email would follow outlining the limits of the voucher which I never received. I finally got on a chat with a agent at Orbitz to ask them the fly-by dates of the voucher and they told me it was January 8th, 2021 or one year from the date of purchase. This would do me no good at all for my May trip to the Philippines so I asked for a refund. Sorry but you are ineligible for a refund per Asiana Airlines. As much as I told them that that wasn't the regulations per DOT they said I need to contact Asiana and take it up with them. I had purchased the ticket with my debit card so I couldn't do a charge back--my bad--lesson learned. Went to DOT's website and filed a complaint and they said they would be contacting Asiana to find out why no refund and they would get back to me. That was two weeks ago and I'm still waiting to hear back. I really don't want a refund if they would extend the fly-by date at least another six or seven months to allow me to use the voucher for my trip next year. My flights within the Philippines on Cebu Pacific were put in a travel fund and I have until the middle of June 2021 to use those funds for next years trip--no problem. But I think I'm pretty much finished with Orbitz or Asiana airlines which I've used for my last six trips to the Philippines and had nothing but good experiences with them--their loss.

I recently discovered scottscheapflights.com for airfare deals, but last week he gave some travel advice regarding airline refunds.

ADVICE FROM SCOTT

Canceled flight? You deserve a refund from the airline.

Airlines have spent the past month doing everything they can to avoid giving out refunds for canceled flights. Their favorite alternative: offering travel credit instead. It’s not right, it’s not legal, and you can’t pay for groceries with a Delta gift card. But they’re hoping you don’t know any better.

⚖️ Know your rights

If an airline cancels your flight, you’re eligible for a cash refund. Period. That’s not me talking, that’s federal law.

Friday, April 3, 2020
WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation today issued an Enforcement Notice clarifying, in the context of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) public health emergency, that U.S. and foreign airlines remain obligated to provide a prompt refund to passengers for flights to, within, or from the United States when the carrier cancels the passenger’s scheduled flight or makes a significant schedule change and the passenger chooses not to accept the alternative offered by the carrier. The obligation of airlines to provide refunds, including the ticket price and any optional fee charged for services a passenger is unable to use, does not cease when the flight disruptions are outside of the carrier’s control (e.g., a result of government restrictions).

The Department is receiving an increasing number of complaints and inquiries from ticketed passengers, including many with non-refundable tickets, who describe having been denied refunds for flights that were canceled or significantly delayed. In many of these cases, the passengers stated that the carrier informed them that they would receive vouchers or credits for future travel. Because the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, DOT’s Aviation Enforcement Office will exercise its enforcement discretion and provide carriers with an opportunity to become compliant before taking further action. However, the Aviation Enforcement Office will monitor airlines’ refund policies and practices and take enforcement action as necessary. The notice can be found here: ENFORCEMENT NOTICE REGARDING REFUNDS BY CARRIERS GIVEN THE UNPRECEDENTED IMPACT OF THE COVID-19 PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY ON AIR TRAVEL | US Department of Transportation.

Schedule changes count
If an airline significantly changes your flight itinerary, you’re also eligible for a refund.
Annoyingly, the law doesn’t define exactly what a “significant schedule change” is. Though it varies by airline, in general these would be considered significant:
• 2+ hour change to your arrival or departure time
• Nonstop flight changed to a connecting flight

No excuses
If an airline cancels/changes your flight, you’re eligible for a refund, even if:
• They only canceled/changed one flight in your itinerary
• You had a basic economy ticket
• It’s on a foreign airline. As long as a flight takes off or lands at a US airport, the airline must follow US law
• The airline could really use the cash. That doesn’t give them the right to keep your money

What about third-party bookings?
If you booked through a major online travel agency (think Expedia or Priceline), the good news is they’re generally following the airlines’ refund policies. If your flight is canceled, you’re owed a refund, even if you booked through a third party.

Be proactive
Few airlines are proactively telling passengers about their right to a refund because they’d prefer you accept a voucher instead. If they’re stonewalling, these are the three things you can do:
• Hang up, call again. Airlines have thousands of call center agents and each has discretion to grant a refund. Countless times I’ve been told no on the first two calls, only to be told yes on the third call.
• File a complaint. The Department of Transportation will forward your complaint to the airline and threaten “enforcement action” if they don’t act soon. Here’s the form.[URL="https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm"]Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form[/URL]
• Credit Card Dispute. Banks have protections for customers in case they pay for something that they don’t ultimately receive (like, say, a flight that got canceled).

Wait to cancel
If you voluntarily cancel, you’re only entitled to a voucher. Even if you’ve decided not to take a future trip, hold off as long as possible in the hopes the airline cancels your flight.

TAKE ACTION
Send us your questions

Have you had trouble getting a refund? Or have questions about what to do? Hit Scott up on Twitter.

Spread the word
Do you know someone who deserves a refund from an airline? Forward this email to help them understand their rights.

July 25th trip from Atlanta to Roatan just cancelled by Delta. We planned to stay at Anthony’s Key and the entire trip was prepaid.

Delta is giving us a refund but the only option for the resort is a resort credit.

Roatan just got its first case of Covid about a week or so ago and are now at 12 cases, so they are a couple months behind the US. I can’t imagine it will be a safe place to travel anytime soon.

We are considering St. Croix on the same dates. Hopefully we can use our AKR credit in 2021.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom