• Welcome to ScubaBoard


  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Discussion in 'General Travel and Vacation Discussions' started by outofofficebrb, Mar 17, 2020.

  1. tridacna

    tridacna ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Location: New Jersey
    6,883
    4,176
    0
    How much was the deposit?
     
  2. Ministryofgiraffes

    Ministryofgiraffes Loggerhead Turtle

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Toronto
    1,567
    1,433
    113
    Which boat?
     
  3. Ovahimba

    Ovahimba ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: San Francisco
    14
    9
    3
    The deposit was $2,200 for a $7,400 trip on the Arenui, Jan 5, 2021. I guess all those boats are trying to make the best of a lousy situation.
     
  4. chillyinCanada

    chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

    26,457
    17,623
    113
    They just want to be able to still be in business when travel begins again.

    A rock and a hard place
     
  5. Dan

    Dan ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: Lake Jackson, Texas
    6,296
    3,792
    113
    That doesn’t sound right. That’s a lot of money. They should be able to forward the deposit to future trip without requiring you paying off the balance.

    I have several cancelled liveaboard trips in 2020 that I haven’t paid them full and they rescheduled my trips to 2021,
     
  6. Ministryofgiraffes

    Ministryofgiraffes Loggerhead Turtle

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Toronto
    1,567
    1,433
    113

    Hmm expected as much. I think it’s a little soon to be demanding balance...maybe end of November. It’s a shame you couldn’t resell that one and I suspect it may not even sail... either way, you ar3nt the on.y person I know who had decided to play it safe and fold...
     
  7. Ovahimba

    Ovahimba ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: San Francisco
    14
    9
    3
    According to the contract they had their behinds covered in a situation like Covid and can keep the deposit (I can dig up the wording later), EXCEPT in the case that the boat cancels the trip, which they weren't going to do, or if the Indonesian government declares that no tourists will be allowed to enter the country Jan 2021 and beyond, in which case the boat would be force to cancel.

    The only reason I was on the boat was to accompany friends, who had wives who wanted the massages and 5 star meals. I figured the balance was the same as a full booking on any other boat, any other time I wanted.

    The trip credit if I paid in full, does not have an expiration date, which I thought was good.

    Maybe that's all they wanted, to cash in the deposits. If you are not paying for staff, fuel or food I'd imagine the deposits would keep the bosses happy.
     
  8. chillyinCanada

    chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

    26,457
    17,623
    113
    In Indonesia, there's a government requirement to keep staff. I'm not entirely sure how it works. It's something like "keep them on for X number of months" at full? 75%? salary, and eventually, what can be done. Perhaps I should ask Indah, it's likely that he knows.
     
  9. Ministryofgiraffes

    Ministryofgiraffes Loggerhead Turtle

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Toronto
    1,567
    1,433
    113
    Was the date they requested the balance payment the same date as the contract? I.E. the same number of days before the trip? I recall it being 30 days prior to the trip on arenui...but it was a long time ago..if it was the required date, then it’s fair enough I suppose.
     
  10. Ovahimba

    Ovahimba ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: San Francisco
    14
    9
    3
    Yes, the contract the balance was due 90 days out, which has been the case the past few liveaboards I've been on. If it were due 30 days before and a larger group cancels, the boat likely wouldn't be able to fill the spots, jeopardizing the trip for the other divers.
     

Share This Page