• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Discussion in 'General Travel and Vacation Discussions' started by outofofficebrb, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Churro

Churro Angel Fish

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    It deeps on the offer that you book under. This one was a free berth, but i have two spots left to fill...lol

2. Mod63

Mod63 Dive Con

So, final confirmation on cancellation of my trip just came in. Due to the fact that we used a specialliced travel agent, we will get all of our deposits and air fare back by Friday and did not have to haggle with anyone. The money will go straight into 3 weeks on Cuba though :)

3. Ryan Neely

Ryan Neely ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I haven't read through all if this yet, and I'm not certain our circumstances will matter for the purposes of the type of data you're collecting, but I'm always willing to participate. So ...

Our original plans had been a week on Vancouver Island in December. We weren't using a travel agency. Our goal was to make it a road trip and visit some national parks along the way.

We had planned to rent an AirBnB, but the managers of the accommodations required a non-refundable deposit well in advance. We weren't willing to commit to that until we were closer to our actual travel dates and we knew for certain the border between the US and Canada would be open.

Since the border has remained closed, we have opted to shift our plans into January and focus on northern Washington rather than Vancouver Island.

Plans are easily changed when it's just two of you and you're "winging it." No flights to worry about. No major reservations.

4. brownie

brownie Angel Fish

Nov. 10 I used Expedia to book an Air Canada direct flight to Cozumel, also my hotel (Casa Mexicana) for a 1-week trip Nov. 26-December 3. Received an email message Nov. 11 (evening) and a text message from Expedia stating Air Canada has cancelled the flight. Can't find any other direct flights to Cozumel for November or December. In the past I have done the Cancun/bus/ferry drag-bag routine but it's circuitous and tiring.

Can't get through to AC and no call-backs available--waiting time is 1+ hour. Expedia refunded me for the hotel and said AC is offering up a travel voucher for the flight. Looked at Air Canada's web site and there are some direct flights scheduled for January, but who knows, maybe it will be a rerun of what I'm experiencing now.

Anyone else on SB done a dance lately with Air Canada trying to chase a refund for a flight booked with a 3rd party web site?

5. ontdiver

ontdiver Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    It seems likely given the surge of cases globally that air travel will be disrupted for many months to come. While AC and others are promoting Caribbean travel, I suspect that the ad campaign was conceived and ramped up when things were looking a bit more promising. Sadly, many folks have ignored the best advice on how to stay safe that has been repeated ad nauseum, and now we are all stuck with the consequences.