Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been watching the development in Indonesia and Thailand over last few months.

Phuket(Thailand) Island, not the rest of the country, is scheduled to open to tourism on 1st Jul 2021. Fully vaccinated person have to stay on the island for the first 14 days before being allowed to move to other provinces(not yet confirmed).

The best you can hope for Indonesia is Bali later this yr but don't count on it. As the vaccination program is not moving fast enough because of severe shortage.
If you are going to book the flight then make sure you get free cancellation and full refund.

Good luck.
That is good to know.
I have been watching the development in Indonesia and Thailand over last few months.

Phuket(Thailand) Island, not the rest of the country, is scheduled to open to tourism on 1st Jul 2021. Fully vaccinated person have to stay on the island for the first 14 days before being allowed to move to other provinces(not yet confirmed).

The best you can hope for Indonesia is Bali later this yr but don't count on it. As the vaccination program is not moving fast enough because of severe shortage.
If you are going to book the flight then make sure you get free cancellation and full refund.

Good luck.

Well, it finally happened to me. My trip to Cocos on Argo, starting tomorrow, got cancelled due to the trip that just got back had someone test positive for covid. So, the entire crew is on quarantine by the order of the Costa Rica's Ministry of Health. They are unable to run the next couple of trips (including mine) due to the quarantine.

Underseahunter.com gave me 2 options:
1. A full refund
2. Reschedule with no increase in price that I have paid, plus free $1500 cash for me when I arrive in Costa Rica.

I chose option 1. So far, I lost $100 penalty for cancelling my flights, which is not covered by DiveAssure travel insurance policy.

I would’ve been too nervous to arrive the same day but worked out great for you.

I would’ve been too nervous to arrive the same day but worked out great for you.
My plan was to arrive a day before boarding on the boat. At least Underseahunter informed us 8 days before my departure so I can cancel the hotel reservation without penalty. Just the $100 flight cancellation penalty & not being covered by DiveAssure travel insurance that ticked me off.

Well, it finally happened to me. My trip to Cocos on Argo, starting tomorrow, got cancelled due to the trip that just got back had someone test positive for covid. So, the entire crew is on quarantine by the order of the Costa Rica's Ministry of Health. They are unable to run the next couple of trips (including mine) due to the quarantine.

Underseahunter.com gave me 2 options:
1. A full refund
2. Reschedule with no increase in price that I have paid, plus free $1500 cash for me when I arrive in Costa Rica.

I chose option 1. So far, I lost $100 penalty for cancelling my flights, which is not covered by DiveAssure travel insurance policy.

Sorry to hear your trip got cancelled. Undersea Hunter is a class organization --I've been fortunate to go on three of their Cocos trips over the years.

I am wondering, @Dan which type of test was administered to the afflicted person: the PCR version or the antigen test (the latter being less reliable with respect to accuracy)? I haven't read any stats on false positives........

Sorry to hear your trip got cancelled. Undersea Hunter is a class organization --I've been fortunate to go on three of their Cocos trips over the years.

I am wondering, @Dan which type of test was administered to the afflicted person: the PCR version or the antigen test (the latter being less reliable with respect to accuracy)? I haven't read any stats on false positives........
Sorry I don’t know. I would assume they would confirm the antigen test with PCR, as the consequence of being tested positive has huge economic impact on the liveaboard when a couple of trips are cancelled. Also for the guests themselves to be quarantined for 2 weeks in foreign country, missing 2 weeks of work back home.

Sorry I don’t know. I would assume they would confirm the antigen test with PCR, as the consequence of being tested positive has huge economic impact on the liveaboard when a couple of trips are cancelled. Also for the guests themselves to be quarantined for 2 weeks in foreign country, missing 2 weeks of work back home.
Agreed, that would be a huge economic impact on the liveaboard.

I am not clear on the following: assuming that only 1 guest tested positive, would the Costa Rican Ministry of Health requirement to quarantine apply to the other guests, who presumably tested negative? If this issue has been clarified in earlier posts, my apologies for not keeping up to date (haven't read through this entire thread).

Back
Top Bottom