Cancun and Cozumel experts: Share your opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear fellow divers:

We are going to Mexico in August to swim with the whale sharks (one 1/2 day trip)—total 5 day trip; 3 full days of diving (one of those days is diving the cenotes)—that is, we want to dive the cenotes and have two additional days of diving.

Experienced (with a recent trip there) Cancun and Cozumel divers...what would you plan?

For the two days of diving and one day at the cenotes:

Stay in Cancun or Cozumel?
Dive Cancun AND Cozumel or only one?

Favorite dive operators?
Favorite place to stay?

Not going there to dive with the sharks.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

We have spent a day diving cenotes while staying on Cozumel and it wasn't an issue at all to take the ferry over and dive the cenotes (depending on how many you are trying to hit). The operator picked us up from the ferry, stopped at their shop for gear, then drove us to El Pit and Dos Ojos (those two are close together). About a 45 min drive each way. They dropped us back off at the ferry after we were done.

We used CenoteXperience who did an excellent job.

I wouldn't bother staying on Cancun, just dive Coz.

With no cruise ships going to Cozumel, it is going to be amazing next month. I don't like the hustle and bustle of Cancun, too busy for me.

I wouldn't miss a Cozumel diving day to dive Cancun. But, since you are diving the Cenotes plus the whale sharks, it's a toss-up between staying in PDC or Coz. If flying into CUN (and out) PDC may be more convenient overall. I prefer Coz but you would have to get the ferry back probably early in the morning when flying out, or the night before.

BTW, the ferries are more limited now due to COVID so make sure either way that they will fit your schedule.

The Coz section of this board has an incredible amount of info and is very active, and will address all of the questions but the operators on Coz are almost all top notch due to so much competition.

Absolutely Cenote Xperience for diving the Cenotes. If you are coming from Coz on your dive day, they will meet you at the ferry pier and handle everything from there. I like to dive with Martin, one of the owners. He is one of the best divers I have ever seen and I learn something every time I dive with him. His passion for the cenotes is contagious. He will choose the best dive for your experience and the conditions.

I really don't care for Cancun, or even much for Playa. I do the mainland only to fly in if it saves money and to dive cenotes. There is a chicken place called Perchogon...something like that... near the bus station (a block from the ferry pier) that has really good rotisserie chicken and potatoes for the ferry ride back to Cozumel. Sometimes Oxxo(kind of like a Mexican 7-11) will have Bohemia Obscura for the trip back as well. If you have never had Bohemia Obscura, it's only the greatest beer in the world. They usually have it at the bar as you get on the ferry, but it ranges from $3 to $5 each depending on.....Hell, I don't know. It's Mexico.

We prefer to stay at Casa Mexicana. I checked a few nights ago and rooms were $69 which includes a damn good breakfast. The buffet is no more, but there is a fixed menu that is cooked to order and is as good a breakfast as you will find on the island.

CM is also located within walking distance of 90% of our favorite restaurants and Mega, a huge grocery store. Pineapple coconut water is amazing and cures just about everything from hangovers to cramps during dives.

For a dive op, we dive Aldora and request either Jorgito or Sharief as a dive master. We have never had a bad DM, but consider both friends at this point. Small fast boats, steel 120 tanks, long dives, and picks up across the street-ish from CM.

Whil in Coz, make sure you have the Lionfish Marsala at New Especias. It's the best thing I have ever put in my mouth...except a regulator.

That's the way we do it. Money for nothin and chicks.....uhhh nevermind.

Safe travels,
Jay

Start in Cozumel diving. On the last day check out of your hotel before your dive. After diving that day pick up your luggage and take the ferry to Playa and check into hotel. Dive a cenote the next day then, rinses your gear as well. Then head to Cancun. If you stay down town you can taxi to the port where the boats leave for whalesharks and you are a 20 minute bus ride to the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom