Canister for PLB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silicone grease it well and prepare it in a cool-dry AC (dense air) room. I have dove with it may be about 200 dives. No problem opening it after each dives.
Just to cut down on condensation from ambient sir in the canister? I bet if you toss a desiccant pack from a medicine bottle or pair of shoes in there that would work.

I assume they designed it to have a really tight squeeze on the o-rings to keep it locked in until your down enough for water pressure to keep it sealed

I changed the design from radial o-ring seal to axial seal, where a fat o-ring sealing on the top of the canister ledge against the bottom of the lid as shown in the picture in post #45. So, it’s easier to unscrew the lid off the canister and not worrying about ID runout (roundness error) that could breakthrough the radial seal.

Does the black one in your link leak or do you use it?

I have one, and it has not leaked. That doesn't mean that the next time I use it it will stay dry nor can I say it will leak.

FWIW - It has two o-rings in the design (two different sealing areas with the threads between them).

Just to cut down on condensation from ambient sir in the canister? I bet if you toss a desiccant pack from a medicine bottle or pair of shoes in there that would work.

No. I mean if you put the PLB into the canister outside in warm air, then take it on a dive, the cooler ambient water temperature would cool down the air inside the canister and create a slight vacuum.

So, it’s easier to unscrew the lid off the canister and not worrying about ID runout (roundness error) that could breakthrough the radial seal.
Ah, that’s true, especially if I go the PVC rout.

Ah, that’s true, especially if I go the PVC rout.
If you plan to use the canister ID for radial seal face, you need to machine off the runout (radial variation of the ID). It’s too much of machine work (hence, cost). It’s a lot easier to use the axial seal face.

If you plan to use the canister ID for radial seal face, you need to machine off the runout (radial variation of the ID). It’s too much of machine work (hence, cost). It’s a lot easier to use the axial seal face.
Yeah, I see that. Thanks.

Sorry to bump a very old thread but I wanted to ask if anyone has come across better canister options for the PLB1 or ResQLink recently?

Sorry to bump a very old thread but I wanted to ask if anyone has come across better canister options for the PLB1 or ResQLink recently?
I bought this one (to replace the large battery canister I had been using that's posted somewhere in this thread) and it has worked well for me so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom