Canister light batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok that was cool.... Lithium batteries DO need to vent heat when they are used.. I don't think they would be such a good idea for a dive light because dive lite containors are completely sealed.. (onlly to be opened to charge)..

I just flew from the States to Germany and when the loader handed me the NOTOC's (Notice of Hazardous materials on board) I had 93 packages with Lithium Batteries in equipment (???) packed with overpacking. There were from a known shipper so they were supposed to be done right (:wink: ) but the load supervisor was concerned enough to personally inspect the container to ensure that all of the boxes were packed tightly.

On a side note and I have done this myself. One of our pilots was doing his annual spring rite of changing smoke alarm batteries in house and was putting the old 9 V batteries in his pocket. He didn't realize he had some pennies in there until he felt something getting hot - very hot according to him. He said that the battery that had the penny across the contacts was almost too hot to touch and it took it about an hour to cool down.

Now with all of that, I am still investigating building my own dive light and will just be careful of storage.

I just flew from the States to Germany and when the loader handed me the NOTOC's (Notice of Hazardous materials on board) I had 93 packages with Lithium Batteries in equipment (???) packed with overpacking. There were from a known shipper so they were supposed to be done right (:wink: ) but the load supervisor was concerned enough to personally inspect the container to ensure that all of the boxes were packed tightly.

On a side note and I have done this myself. One of our pilots was doing his annual spring rite of changing smoke alarm batteries in house and was putting the old 9 V batteries in his pocket. He didn't realize he had some pennies in there until he felt something getting hot - very hot according to him. He said that the battery that had the penny across the contacts was almost too hot to touch and it took it about an hour to cool down.

Now with all of that, I am still investigating building my own dive light and will just be careful of storage.

Back
Top Bottom