Canister light comparisons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWLD has a large fan base due to their huge amount of light and Bobby is just flat out one hell-of-a nice guy. His lights are LED and they light up the area extremely well, but like my earlier post, they do not have a noticeable hot spot in the center. If your buddies are always they type that pay close attention and are situational aware all the time, you can still manage to signal with it. it does not signal nearly as obviously as other though. The UWLD may be over your current budget and you will not find many used ones on the market unless a diver is upgrading (this is a good sign).

I am completely sold on LED, but I do realize that they still do not have the punch through of the HID's. This is a compromise that I accept for more durable and reliable lighting. I have seen too many HID failures and lost dives from them.

LM is the only light I'd recommend if UWLD isn't an option for you. LM is the only Mfg that has even close to the service of UWLD.

If your buddies are always they type that pay close attention and are situational aware all the time, you can still manage to signal with it. it does not signal nearly as obviously as other though.

They put out so much light, there were very few times I've wanted a brighter spot. With that much light, I just flash at my buddy and have always had positive, quick responses from buddies. The tight spot of my focusable HID is really nice in super low vis, but I'll never give up my Bobby light.

One thing to mention: the UWLD 15 has a tighter spot than either the 26 and 35....and the 15 is closest to within the price range mentioned.

LM service is awesome and I would honestly save up for their lights over the other ones listed on your short list. On another note... wreck diving is one thing but with technical diving, if there is any concern about finances run while you still can.

Someone on my local Craigslist was selling a BigBlue TLP6 so I had a look at it.

It's pretty bright, but sizewise it is an absolute monster. The can is relatively compact but the light head is huge. Given that the brightness didn't blow me away proportional to the size, I crossed it off my list immediately. It's been around for a while so my guess is that the LED's are an older bin that don't throw the light of new ones like the T6's or U2's.

Last week I happened to be on a boat with a pair of divers using Dusty's can lights. I found them painfully bright if the users weren't careful about where they pointed them. I was so impressed that I'll be borrowing one to try.

Hmmm.. the Dusty's lights look interesting... good price, too!

Any opinion about lithium batteries vs. NiMH? Are there significant fire/safety issues with lithium?

Mike, how deep are your dives? Dusty's lights aren't designed for technical applications. They're super lights for recreational divers, but they are inexpensive for a reason.

Mike, how deep are your dives? Dusty's lights aren't designed for technical applications. They're super lights for recreational divers, but they are inexpensive for a reason.

Not trimix deep...! Generally less than 150.

Dusty's website says that they are pressure tested to 300 feet, but they don't look quite as solid as the other ones that I have seen. Light Monkey LED is leading right now, I guess the question is 12W vs 21W....

Not trimix deep...! Generally less than 150.

Dusty's website says that they are pressure tested to 300 feet, but they don't look quite as solid as the other ones that I have seen. Light Monkey LED is leading right now, I guess the question is 12W vs 21W....
If either of those are in your price range, do yourself a favor and consider the UWLD lights much more seriously. I don't care what the specs say, having seen them side by side I ended up with a Bobby light.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom