Canister Light Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

??

So you're saying I didn't go through that many bulbs?

Of course not ...

I'm saying I had a different experience.

I'm still using the original battery as well ... I burn-tested it a couple weeks back by sticking the light head in a bucket of water and turning it on. After 3-1/2 hours it was still going, so I turned it off again.

Maybe I'm just lucky ... but it's been an incredibly reliable product ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Gotcha

*shrugs* I'm sure I'm rougher on my gear than some, diving for me often includes piling too much gear into a zodiac to run up some river or creek only to squeeze my way against a torrent pouring out of some sidemount/nomount hole in the ground :)

The LEDs hold up though.

The battery was a little 9amp with 250 cycles through it, pretty typical lifespan from what I hear. Definately sounds like you've had some great luck with your battery. I'm not gonna argue that I may have been tough on my bulbs(quotable?), but this has been non-issue with the LED :D

Gotcha

*shrugs* I'm sure I'm rougher on my gear than some, diving for me often includes piling too much gear into a zodiac to run up some river or creek only to squeeze my way against a torrent pouring out of some sidemount/nomount hole in the ground :)

The LEDs hold up though.

The battery was a little 9amp with 250 cycles through it, pretty typical lifespan from what I hear. Definately sounds like you've had some great luck with your battery. I'm not gonna argue that I may have been tough on my bulbs(quotable?), but this has been non-issue with the LED :D

It's hard to see your LED when we're diving... :)

Its hard to see anything with that amount of situational unawareness :p

Ouch! lol, but then again if I really had poor SA I wouldn't see your light at all. LOL :wink:

Hell dude, its hard to see me signal when we never hit the water due to a bled down tank :p

I know just about everyone's a fan of the 21W HID, but for a bit less money, I ended up with the Hollis 16W LED. Initial impression says that the light color range is better than the 21W HID, the canister is made by Light Monkey, and the light overall is a pretty nice rig. Compared to a buddy's 21W during a nice red tide bloom visible running out around 3/4 of a mile from shore, at 100' under the bloom, the light had decent punch, enough brightness to handle daytime signaling, and generally stacked up nicely with the 21W HID, not seeming noticeably darker.

I've been eyeing this light to use as a spare/loaner for my buds who come into town and don't have a can light yet. My primary is a 21w HID and I live in the same area as you (Orange County).

How well does this light cut through particulate and how well can it be used for twighlight/night signaling? (compared to the 21w if you are able to compare).

Because it's a spare, I'm not too concerned about how equal it is to a 21w HID primary, but there will be times when this acts as my primary so I'm hoping its a littel beefier than a 10w HID/LED equivelant.

How well does this light cut through particulate and how well can it be used for twighlight/night signaling? (compared to the 21w if you are able to compare).

Because it's a spare, I'm not too concerned about how equal it is to a 21w HID primary, but there will be times when this acts as my primary so I'm hoping its a littel beefier than a 10w HID/LED equivelant.

It's actually bright enough to be visible for daytime signaling. It's a downgrade from a 21W HID in terms of light output, but the color is better and the overall rig size, buoyancy, and the fact that it came with a non-nonsense charger, a sealed canister, and pre-strapped, other than the lack of a case, I was really happy. As compared to a 10W HID, it's brighter, and doesn't suffer from the delicacy of HID heads. That makes me really happy. The downside is that you can't overdrive LED's and get the exponential increases in output like you can with HID.

LED heads are getting better and better, I'm sure that in a year or two I'll be able to pick one up for $500 that has equal output to a 21W HID :wink:

Peter

Or yeah.. I didn't actually look at it specifically for penetration, but I didn't see a noticeable difference with the HID my buddy had. He was actually surprised how good it was comparatively.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom