Cannon G-12 or Nikon P7000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog Diver

Reaction score
I am currently upgrading my underwater photographic set up. I was looking at either the Cannon G-12 or the Nikon P7000 with Ikelite housing (Ikelite is supposedly coming out with a housing this month for the P7000) and a Ikelite DS-161 strobe set up. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have not been able to find many reviews on the DS-161. I was hoping to find a set up that was good down to 175' or so and could utilize TTL and HD video.

I am currently upgrading my underwater photographic set up. I was looking at either the Cannon G-12 or the Nikon P7000 with Ikelite housing (Ikelite is supposedly coming out with a housing this month for the P7000) and a Ikelite DS-161 strobe set up. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have not been able to find many reviews on the DS-161. I was hoping to find a set up that was good down to 175' or so and could utilize TTL and HD video.

If you're looking at the G12, I would also check out the Panasonic Lumix LX5.

Frogdiver,
the Patima housing for the G11 is depth rated to 120 meters/393ft but you need a external strobe as the housing is of aluminium and the G12 internal strobe will be blocked but may trigger a optical triggered slave stobe.
I use the INON D20000 strobe, depth rated to 100 meters/328 feet and providinga "simulated" ttl called s-ttl giving you in most cases almost perfect illuminated pictures.
The Ikelite housing with a Ikelite DS series strobe will give you electical triggered TTL as the housing has a built-in TTL converter. The DS 160/161 is the sucessor of the DS-125 strobe and is a widly used, rugged and powerful strobe, but bulky and heavy.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom