Canon A40 with housing? Warranty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at getting a Canon A40 with the Canon underwater housing. Does anybody have any pics with this? Any with or without strobe? I'm trying to get some better pix off of 2.0mp rather than the DC200 which is 1.3mp. In addition, does a Canon warranty cover wet or "flooded" cameras?

Thanks so much

I doubt if any manufacturers warranty will cover flooding unless the housing was proven to be at fault.

sorry...I can't help with info in Canon cameras.

I got my Canon A40 at Best Buy. "Do you want the 4 year extended warrenty?". "Does it cover if it gets... uh... wet?". <wispering> "Well, when I dropped my walkman in the ocean, I rinsed it off with fresh water, let it dry for a week, brought it in and said 'it got splashed and now it doesn't work'". "So that's basically a yes?" "Yea."

Check out:

New England Shots

North Carolina Shots

http://seanewengland.tripod.com/NC2002.htm

And my favorite so far:

Mike_on_U-352.jpg

Note: The housing is rated to 100 fsw. That shot above was at 113 fsw on U-352. I don't have an external strobe yet [it'll cost more than the camera and the housing] so there tends to be a lot of back-scatter sometimes, but shooting 3-4 ft with the internal flash works pretty well:

Goldentail_Moray.jpg

Man, I love it! I'm sold! I think I'll go get one tomorrow as long as they give me that extended warranty. I love those black and whites. Did you do any readjustments to those pics? Cus the blue ones look incredible, I see no hurry to run off and get a strobe.

-D

HI:

I'm not sure of current prices, but you might want to look at the Canon S30. It should only be about $100-150 more for camera, and the housing is the same price.

The camera is just superb. It is 3.2 mp, has MANY more controls than the A40 including jumping the ASA all the way to 800 for night shots (topside) without flash. It is also a bit smaller than the A40 and fits easily into a shirt pocket.

Although it IS a great camera, I think if you are jumping from 1.2 mp, you should jump a bit more than the A40.

I've had 11X14 prints made, they look great.

Here's a link to a combo trip report/camera review I just posted at Rodales. It's all topside shots, hoping to post the underwater shots and more camera info soon.

link: <http://www.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1556>

Gerry

Originally posted by KidK9
I love those black and whites. Did you do any readjustments to those pics

The Black and White ones were a reaction to the lack of a strobe. Since the water was clear enough to take shots from 10-20 ft away, the internal flash would just light up the little floaties between the camera and the subject. So I started just taking the shot with ambient light. They were a little washed out in blue so I used auto-levels to bring the contrast back, and then converted to black and white.

The pictures done with the flash [like the goldentail moray eel] are as-is, no manipulation other than resizing].

Back
Top Bottom