Canon A570 IS vs. A720 IS - need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll keep looking, but in the meanwhile, I was wondering if I need to purchase a card reader as well in order to tranfer the photos to my laptop while traveling?
I use any ol' SD card in my cameras, including a free 1 GB one that came with one of them LOL & Ultra IIIs, and haven't noticed any difference IN the camera. Getting images to the computer is where faster cards show their stuff, I think.

I would definitely get a card reader. They are cheap and fast - you don't need to spend much, either. Make sure it's USB 2.0 - there are still a lot out there with 1.0 and they can be a bit slow...not that it's too much of a problem...have a drink, put your feet up :wink:

Alcina, thanks for stopping by. If you give both cameras your blessing I know I can't go wrong. You were the one who helped me when I was in Little Cayman and couldn't get a photo underwater with my Sony DSC-W80.

(P.S. Since then I argued with Sony so much about their false advertising that they sent me their cheesy $100 filter gratis. Suffice to say it did absolutely nothing to improve the shots. Wish I had consulted you before that purchase last year.:shakehead:
De nada - love to help where I can. I remember the Sony incident. There's a reason that Sony doesn't make the list when people ask for recommendations on cameras and unfortunately you found out the hard way!

I may have missed it, but if you ever have time, a summary of your experience (with photos if you still have them) would be a tremendously helpful addition to our Sticky!

Rick & Choyster...your contributions to this thread have been fabulous. It's definitely one of the most helpful and comprehensive we've had in a long time! Well done :) I've added this thread into the Sticky now!

Alcina,

Hope you had wonderful New Year and appreciate the thanks.

Now I just need to get off my bum and post some of my pic's :)

I did upload several videos that I shot on "youtube" but the quality of what is displayed on youtube leaves a lot desired when compared to the original. I must say though that I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the video from this P&S camera.

If anyone is interested they can view the videos by going to youtube and typing rickgreatting into the Search block. Even with the poor youtube quality you can see the huge schools of barracuda and jacks that we saw on a daily basis along the ever present turtles and white tip sharks.

My only problem with the video was on those opportunities that I neglected to shoot a video clip until after the opportunity had passed :-(

Rickg

my friend just got the A720IS yesterday, don't know how it works at this time

Thanks Viola- hope it works out for your friend. Please let me know how it goes.:fish:

<<The Canon A570 IS produced clear, colorful pictures and so I decided to use the SONY as a paperweight and buy the Canon. Here's the thing. Canon recently released the A720 IS.
Essentially it looks like the same camera. The two major differences I can see are
1) The zoom is a 6X as opposed to the 4X on the A570 IS
2) The A720 IS is an 8mp camera versus the 7.1 mp on the A570 IS
3) I believe the A720IS can e fitted for an adapter for a wide angle lens, I haven;t found mention of that capability on the A570IS.

Although I don't think I'll ever need 8mp vs. 7mp, I am attracted to the 6X zoom vs. the 4X zoom. I'm not ready to buy a wide angle lens, but it might be useful shooting underwater.

I really have no camera know how, (that's probably obvious) and was wondering if anyone out there had an opinion as to which camera I should buy based on actual experience or just general camera knowledge.

Here's the side by side comparison from CNET
CNET Comparison Chart

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom you can impart.
Happy New Year.
Susan

The price difference is minor. I'm just trying to decide between the two.
Any advice would be genuinely appreciated.

Thanks>>

I have the Canon A710 IS (which is probably just the previous version of the 720) and am very pleased with it. I haven't gotten the extra lens adapter and lenses (wide angle and telephoto), but may at some point. I think it offers a bit more flexibility. I have taken pics with just the Canon flash (housing comes with flash diffuser), but also bought a lightweight strobe for it. One thing I REALLY like about the 710 is the ultra close macro. I'd go for the 720....

Pat

I have the Canon A710 IS (which is probably just the previous version of the 720) and am very pleased with it. I haven't gotten the extra lens adapter and lenses (wide angle and telephoto), but may at some point. I think it offers a bit more flexibility. I have taken pics with just the Canon flash (housing comes with flash diffuser), but also bought a lightweight strobe for it. One thing I REALLY like about the 710 is the ultra close macro. I'd go for the 720....

Pat

Pat- Thanks, I just ordered the A720- I was actually able to get both the camera and the Canon Housing together from Amazon for $362 (free shipping, no tax)
I picked up a 4g card at Supermedia store and a set of Maha 2700 rechargeables from Thomas Distributing on the advice of a previous poster.

From what I can see here on the boards, I think at my level of experience (zero) I'd be thrilled with with either the A570 or the A720. The 6X zoom is what got me. It's not major, but I did see a difference when playing with them in the store. The ultra close macro will also be fun, I love the cute little stuff.

You mentioned a "lightweight strobe". Who makes the strobe? Does it work seamlessly with the housing? Cost? And I guess I'm also curious to know what conditions will you use it for and what's the result in comparison to using just the on board flash?

In addition, I'm looking for a great case for the camera. Nothing bulky. I have been buying cases from a guy on ebay out of Australia who makes zippered cases out of neoprene. Unfortunately, he hasn't made the case for the 710 or 720 yet.
I'd like something with minimum bulk, and I only need to protect the camera from what's in my purse, I'll never pack it in a suitcase or anything.

Thanks in advance!

Susan

I have to give thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. All this info just made me go for the A720 IS with the Canon UW case. I can tell that this will be an awesome board to gather info and learn from.

Thanks
Tom

JFYI, the Canon 570IS has a new brother, the 590IS which uses the same housing. The Canon DC-12 housing has a round port and is supported by Inon and therefore can utilize the fantastic Inon UFL165AD FE lens and the 105AD WA lens and the 165AD macro. The 720IS Canon supplied oval port housing cannot utilize these lenses and the adapter that can be gotten uses the larger 67MM lenses and supposedly has vignetting problems. Therefore, it is clear, for underwater use with the Canon housings there is only one choice between these, the Canon 570/590IS and DC-12. Repeat, the 720IS and Cannon housing CANNOT use the Inon AD series lenses--bad--bad. Deal killer for sure.

N

To Nemrod - I really appreciate your post earlier today. I was thinking about ordering an u/w camera tomorrow and I was leaning toward the 720 (because of the 6x zoom). But, your post has me convinced to get the 570 or 590. Just to clarify, with the Canon housing, we can add a wide angle and a macro lens? I thought you could only add lenses with the Ikelite housing? Do you know what the difference is between the 570is vs. the 590is? Also, is there a camera dealer you'd recommend? Thanks for the lead. Linda (lnd7mike@yahoo.com)

Let me try to answer you and please realize, I am not an U/W camera expert but I have had some formal photo training and do understand some things.

The main difference with the new 590IS is that it is an 8.0 MP and the 570IS is a 7.1 MP. I don't think there are any other significant differences. It still has the 4X zoom which is WHY the houisng has a round port instead of that square honker on the 6X zoom 710/720.

The Ikelite housing for the 570IS will NOT--will not--accept the Inon AD lenses. I don't know who told you that but they are wrong. The Ikelite husing will accept the larger 67 MM threaded Inon lenses but those are bigger, heavier, even more expensive and in some ways inferior to the compact AD series of bayonet mount lenses. The AD lenses are about a 47 MM but they are not threaded, they use a bayonet mount. The mount for them on the DC-12 can be seen on page 2 of the NEWS on the Inon America home page, clcik on Inon supports the DC-12. There you will see a full break down and picture of a Canon 570IS with DC-12 housing outfitted with Inon D2000 strobe, tray, optical sync and Inon 165AD FE lens. Repeat, the Ikelite hosuing will not accept these lenses because it has a larger diameter port. Yep, they messed up there or I might have gotten the Ike housing but it will not work and I know that for a fact. Inon does not support the Ikelite housing and has no adapters for it.

To confuse the issue, Ikelite does have an Inon bayonet adapter but it only works on their two inch ports and the Ike 570 housing has a three inch port--bad--bad--deal breaker right there.

If you need any further explanation let me know because I actually have all of the parts and pieces in my hand and depsite having not yet used them I can assure you they fit and are made to fit specific to this application.

INON America - News & Events

I am really impressed with the Inon products, neat, simple, high quality and functional.

One other thing, yes, Inon makes a 105MM wide angle AD lens, a 165MM macro AD lens and a 165 MM fisheye super wide angle AD lens. These "AD" series lenses use the adapter seen on the page I linked to which is made for the Canon DC-12 housing.

I got the housing and camera on Amazon well under 300 dollars for the pair. Not sure if that deal is still up but if it is I would get it.

Hope this helps you out.

Off thread but JFGI. I betcha with a little work the Inon DC12 AD lens adaptor could be fitted to the Fantasea Nikon P5100 housing to allow full use of these AD series lenses as well but it would take some home machine work most are not capable of but I am. I may go that route latter. I am pretty sure the Fantasea P5100 housing has the same port as the Canon DC-12. Inon unfortunately does not support Fantasea housings so it would have to be homemade at this juncture.

N

Back
Top Bottom