Canon DLSR "Error 20" - seeking suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunnyboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Canon 7D (mark 1). Recently it started giving an "Error 20". Searching the internet this error appears to be a problem with the mirror movement mechanism.

Has anyone experienced this problem, and is there any solution other than sending the camera back to Canon for service?

My problem is the only service center shown for Canada is the other side of the country (Ontario), which means expensive shipping (and possible loss).

I'm wondering if there's a quick fix or workaround.

Ouch. I worked on my buddies trying to fix it. Ended up replacing the whole mirror box assembly off eBay (60$) after trying some of the forum suggestions. It's a straightforward repair but is as precise as you'd imagine. It's been flawless for a year now.

Hope you find an easier solution. I picked up a 7d body for 380 CAD on kijiji two days ago. They are a great camera.

Regards,
Cameron

Cameron,
Thanks. I'd hate to have to do that repair, but it might be the best way to go other than just buying another body.

Your only two choices are send it back to Canon, or replace the mirror box yourself. If you're not handy, just send it to Canon. Even with my CPS discount, it's always the labor that costs the most.....

Quick question. What type of battery are you using when the error occurs? Could it be a knockoff or is it a genuine Canon. I've had problems before with the knockoff. Problem solved when using genuine.

If that's not it, you are probably better off sending it to Canon for service.

Canon battery & charger. Battery is in very good shape. One thing I'm chasing down is that it happens most often when I have a Canon flash (430EX) mounted on the hotshoe and taking flash photos. Perhaps some minor power drain caused by the flash?

I ask because it is interesting you mention batteries as a possible issue. Knock-off batteries are notorious for being under-spec.

I had issues with a knockoff battery. It would give me an error. To fix the problem, I got rid of it. Before I figured it was the battery, I would have to open the housing, take camera out, take battery out, re-insert battery, put all back together and that would work till the camera would go back to sleep. If I let that happen...let the camera doze off, the error would come back. If I kept the camera awake, the error would be kept at bay.
Hope this helps.
Ricardo

Update. The problem kept getting worse until the camera would not work at all - every shutter press generated the "Error 20".

I sent it in to a local camera repair shop on Vancouver Island (Canon Canada is across the continent in Ontario) and they checked it out. The tech tells me it's the shutter, not the mirror box and is now getting repaired.

It will cost me about 1/2 what used ones are selling for today, but it will have a new shutter.

Follow up, mostly for those in a similar situation. After getting the camera back for a couple of weeks, the ERR 20 started happening again. First just once or twice, but quickly (over 3 days) to 90% of the time.

I sent the camera back in, and they were stumped. They sent it to Canon Canada, and the verdict just came back: now it's the mirror box. So after shutter replacement, now mirror box replacement. Fortunately this one is under warranty.

HOWEVER - Canon Canada also said this is an extremely rare occurrence, It seems that a mirror box problem will be masked by a shutter problem. You can't test the mirror box with a bad shutter, so you have to replace the shutter, THEN you can test the mirror box.

Anyway, I should have a working camera back in a couple of weeks. It's been an adventure. I've owned Canon cameras since 1980, (Voitlander before that). First various 35mm SLR's, then after a bad foray into early Nikon digital, Canon DLSRs. In all that time this is the very first problem I've had with a Canon, so I'm OK with this one.

When you get the camera back, check your serial number.

The one time that I had to send a camera in to Canon for servicing, they simply replaced it with a refurbished one and it was like getting a new camera. (Refurbished cameras are great IMHO, the tech checks EVERYTHING to ensure that the camera is 100% in spec.) My guess is that to minimize the time that the customer (me) was without a camera, they replaced it and then sent my camera off to be repaired and somebody might have gotten it as a refurbished replacement at some later date.

Anyways, no matter how Canon handles it, I hope that they are able to resolve your Error 20 issues once and for all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom