Canon EOS 80D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickeyf413

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is anyone shooting the 80D underwater yet? If so, what do you think? I'm currently shooting the T2i is it worth upgrading?

Appreciate any feedback

Thanks

Rickey

The Canon 80D with DPAF autofocus technology is a jump in capability. I've used all Canon SLRs from the first Canon Digital Rebel on up and the 80D definitely a best buy in fact rivaling and besting the Canon 7D MKII in some respects which I've shot above and below also.

Some 80D features for surface use including a swivel LCD with touch control. For those who've never used touch control on a camera (on the surface) it's something I'd never go without on any camera. Canon's is way more advanced than any other brand too.

Just one long time shooter's opinion and full disclosure I'm an Ikelite and Fantasea dealer AND actual user :)

David Haas
Haas Photography Inc.
www.haasimages.com

Butterfly516FB.jpg IMG_2529.jpg IMG_1495.jpg

Last edited:
I have not shot with the 80D, but have used a variety of Canon's over the years ranging from the rebel on up. I'm currently shooting a 7D and my buddy's 6D. The only camera I actually hated was the rebel. I found that the autofocus system often missed the mark on subjects that were high contrast and should not have presented a problem. In all other cameras, this was never a problem. For me, the real consideration in that price range is full-frame or not. For just a little more money (even less used) you can get a full-frame 6D which is an awesome camera.

I have plenty of SLR customers who lust for FF (Full Frame) bodies too. Realistically they never will need it nor master it.

APS-C sensor SLRs are so good especially today's models. In fact there are advantages for APS-C SLRs for UW shooting such as macro lenses giving a bit more "working room".

Once you house a SLR the less expensive APS-C models like the new Canon 80D means you can buy a 2nd body for extended trips and back up too.

To each his own......

www.haasimages.com

MantaSMEBWlarge.jpg TigerSharksBWSMElarge.jpg GreatWhiteFaceSMEbwlarge.jpg GreatWhiteLightPlay.jpg

Last edited:
I would agree that for underwater, APS-C is plenty good enough. FF might be slightly better for wide-angle, but APS-C definitely better for macro. Most of the advantages of Full-Frame pertain to topside photographers shooting weddings and portraits with big fast lenses wide-open in low light, which does not apply to underwater.

I am shooting the 7DMII and love it. The AF system is awesome, and I think is a bit better than the AF system on the 80D. The 7DMII is only slightly more expensive than the 80D, and has better weather-proofing also. The 80D has features useful for topside like tilt/swivel screen and touchscreen that can't be used underwater. So I think the 7DMII might be a slightly better choice for underwater, but both are very good.

Rob and others,

I agree the Canon 7D MK II is a stellar choice also. I used a pair of that model on a photo gig last summer (the competitive swimmer shot I posted above.) The AF focus and tracking basically being what's in their Canon 1DX MK II made the shoot a success using the AF tracking at 10 FPS (frames per second.)

The weather proofing mentioned may also be an extra for some potential buyers. The OP asked about the 80D and that's why the touch screen and a few other features at a lower price was what I pointed out.

Both are great choices for UW and surface shooting.

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Thanks guys for all the informative information. So what I think I've heard is yes it's worth the upgrade from the T2i, but now I have an additional choice to consider - the 80D vs the 7DMKII.

Thanks again and I'll post an update once I've made a decision

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom