Canon G12 v. S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was afraid to post this because I can imagine potential carnage, but here goes:

I am a diver first and photographer second and always will be. I like framing and taking shots, but enjoy floating around without anything to do but just be even better. I have trips coming up with large things, schools of sharks and large mantas, and will be taking video to capture the beautiful flow. So, I was all set to order an S100 and a Fix housing when I was told by my dive buddies that I really want a G12 because it takes better pictures and the video I want (1080 HD) isn't as important as good pictures. I decided not to buy the G1X for price and macro reasons. Because I do want video on these next two trips, Socorro and Maldives, but will go back to still for most future trips, here's the question:

Will I, an OK at best photographer, notice the difference in quality between a G12 and S100 either in still or video? For my circumstances, do you have a erecommendation?

Thanks,
Rob

They are quite similar cameras, but the S100 specs are all slightly better than the G12. CMOS sensor is a bit better than the older CCD. Image quality, resolution, dynamic range, etc., are all a bit better. It may not be noticeable to the casual eye, but if anything, the S100 should come out on top. Plus, since the S100 is more compact, it is better suited for underwater.

Last edited:
The S100 takes super video! I have even pulled single frames from it with good results which really came in handy when a whale was breaching close to our dive boat in Maui!

As you mention trips with "large things", the S100 has a 24mm f2.0 wide angle lens versus the 28mm f2.8 lens on the G12 and thus would have a slight advantage in your situation.

very nice ^

pretty blessed with the light pen and blue water.

that is some visibility...

What friar raise says is a bit misleading the 24mm equivalent lens is not an advantage as you will a wide angle anyway to take decent video. 24mm once in water won't even give you 65 degrees
However the most important consideration is that the housing for the g12 that takes a wide angle lens costs 30% more than the relative S100
Both camera shoot 1080p so if you are worried about image quality and have the extra money to spend check a site like dpreview
Right now the S100 is the go to option for canon prosumers

What friar raise says is a bit misleading the 24mm equivalent lens is not an advantage as you will a wide angle anyway to take decent video. 24mm once in water won't even give you 65 degrees
However the most important consideration is that the housing for the g12 that takes a wide angle lens costs 30% more than the relative S100
Both camera shoot 1080p so if you are worried about image quality and have the extra money to spend check a site like dpreview
Right now the S100 is the go to option for canon prosumers

G12 doesn't shoot 1080p. It can only manage 720p..

Oops then off you go even easier to choose I guess
I had a look ad dpreview and in terms of image quality the S100 scores better I think this could be due to the latest generation processor the S100 has got

Considering how difficult is to attach lenses to the G12 I would go for the S100 myself

Last edited:
Fanatastic advice and now I can comfortably make the call. Thanks all for the assistance. Time to check the credit card balance, make the purchase and start playing. Interceptor, I also,plan to purchase a wide angle lense. thanks for that advice as well.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom