Canon G12..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't feel a difference in shutter lag between my G11 and my Nikon D90.
I personally prefer the size of the G11/12 over the S90/95 as too small cameras don't fit well in my hands and the G11 fit them in a "ergonomic" way..
Yes, the S90 in a FIX housing is a very small housing, but you need very big pockets on your BCD to stow it inside and no strobe attached.
I attached two snap bolts on my Patima G11 housing so that i can clip it to the left and right, upper chest rings on my bcd in order to have her in protected position and my hands free to do other things.

Chris

Hi Colin,
Thanks very much for your comments. I had no strobe on this trip as I am just starting out with underwater Photographer and went for an IST video light. The whale Shark image was captured with natural light only. Shot settings.....F8 1/100 ISO 320. A mistake I have made with the video light with manta rays was to have the light on. This worked ok but lighted all the plankton up in the foreground. Luckily I realized my mistake early and my whale shark pics benefitted from this. I work as a full time photographer on land and this underwater photography game is all new to me. There are a few shots on the slideshow where the combination of flash and video light worked well.
Maldives Whale Shark with the Canon G12 : Jason Chambers Photography

Hi Jason

Thanks so much for investigating this and showing the results. I am at the moment tossing up over the G12 or the S95, but am leaning much towards the G12 as I want a camera that feels nice in my hands out of the water.

Can I ask you which housing you used and also how you thought the camera's flash performed without a strobe. Obviously from your photos you had little trouble, but I was asking more along if it was a little overcast would it be frustrating.

and thanks again for the photos!

Hi Kim,
Thanks for your message, The Housing was the Canon WP-DC34 and I had no strobe at all just an IST video light which came in handy for the G12 HD video recording function. (video samples soon for anyone interested) As I have mentioned before I am new to underwater photographer but work on land as a full time photography. What I have learnt so far is.........

1.Get as close to your subject as possible
2.Use natural light when possible i.e I made the mistake of shooting Manta Rays with my light on and it highlighted all the plankton. Luckily I had another Manta Sighting with the whale sharks and I had learnt from my mistakes.
3. On camera flash ....... experiment with the power output and use the supplied diffuser with your housing.
Thanks
Jase
Jason Chambers – Lakeland Wedding Photo

Thanks Jason. Your advice is much appreciated. I'm off to Fiji in a month so early next year I'll post some of my photos

Thanks Jason

I just bought the same camera and housing due to your photos and advice from other forums.

I just hope my results are as close to as good as yours and I will be happy.

Hi,

How do you set aperture and shutter speed underwater without access to the dials? Does the "S" button trick works on the G12?

Thanks

JY.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom