canon g15 with housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gaudencio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I'm planning to buy this setup using the canon housing for the G15 . Is it worth buying? Any comments with this housing and can you also recommend a shop that sells the cheapest for this camera that is reliable. :)

G15 is a great all-around camera that excels in close-up photography. You will find challenges adapting this camera to wide-angle photography, and the jury is still out on whether new solutions for wide-angle will work to an acceptable level for this camera.

IMO, the wide-angle limitation is the only significant drawback to the G15. Many people will say the new Sony rx100 is the camera to beat with it's large sensor, but the photos I've seen taken with the camera just look too soft, I suspect because the glass is inferior to the G-series glass, and the lens isn't fast enough (aperture doesn't open as far). This is my UNINFORMED OPINION based solely on the shots I've seen.

In my opinion, there is no "Best" compact camera at the moment, which is sad, because I'm in the market, but everything out now in the underwater compact world has some fatal-flaw. The mirrorless cams look more attractive overall, but they require significant investment, and wet-lenses (a huge advantage to compact cams) aren't an option on the mirrorless cams.

If I was forced to buy a compact today, I'd probably go G15 or S110, though the new Panasonic compact deserves serious consideration too, and is on-par with the G15.

I love my canon G 12 with a recsea case, adding a wide angle lens was not a problem but you can't switch on the fly. Decide before you dive, wide or macro. I got the Dyron 12mm fisheyes lens.

HI,
Thanks for all your comments. But Will this setup also adapt with my strobe of Inon2000z?

hi,
Thanks Hetland for the comments.I 'm going for the g15. BTW nice photos in your gallery, good composition.

I like your angelfish shot. these are usually very hard to shoot at. They tend to shy away from me all the time.

Last edited:
I like your angelfish shot. these are usually very hard to shoot at. They tend to shy away from me all the time.

I feel your pain. Nothing is worse than a Rock Beauty though. I have about 1,000 butt-shots of Rock Beauties :D

Back
Top Bottom