Canon G7X User Reviews Pro and Con.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve the Baker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thinking on upgrading before my next trip. Have read All the treads and Reviews. Would like some reviews by owners of the camera.

Thinking on upgrading before my next trip. Have read All the treads and Reviews. Would like some reviews by owners of the camera.
The G7x does not have a hotshoe so this made it a non-starter for me.

I use wired sync (not optical) strobes. I purchased a G16 instead. YMMV.

timely. i am about ready to pull the trigger on the g7x as well, and same as stb would be interested in some current owner opinions. giffenk, what do we give up without the hotshoe? the ability to use wired strobes only? as the g7x does use a preflash, getting around the criticism of the g16 for manual users, what will we miss?

Potential Canon G7X users,

Ikelite | Underwater Camera Housings, Strobes, Flashlights and Accessories front page has a link to my short review using the Canon G7X for a week. Yes, I'm an Ikelite dealer so I used our DS51 strobes all manually tripped with the optical converters where a synch cord for hard wired TTL goes.

The W30 lens with the Canon G7X's wider 24mm equivalent lens does need zoomed to completely eliminate vignetting. Then again I am of the opinion people obsess too much over super wide views when in reality most people don't get close enough to fill the frame shooting underwater anyway :(

giffenk likes a hot shoe if using a housing with synch cord capability and TTL. I also do with SLRS and compact cameras that offer a hot shoe. Despite not having a hot shoe the Canon G7X produces wonderful photos above and below whatever strobe set up you decide to use.

The Canon G16 shot at anything lower than ISO400 with flash or in decent ambient light can produce wonderful images, too. Perhaps I'm biased from shooting APS-C sensor SLRS but I confess to loving the files from the 20.MP 1" sensor the Canon G7X has. So I went that way.........

Food for thought.........

www.haasimages.com

Sorry I think my Question was not clear enough. I have read the thread rob1967 posted. Reviews from Wet Pixel,David Haas,Backscatter & Bluewater Photo. All were Excellent and Informative. What I am looking for a people who Actually Purchased this camera and how they are satisfied with the product. Nobody owned one in the Jan. thread. David Haas Thank You for being Honest on who you Represent as a Dealer.

good stuff as usual and thanks for the link to the december to march thread. completely missed it.

I have a G7x and shoot UW primarily, using the attendant Canon housing. I find the zoom range of 24-100 mm works well at the extremes. I shoot macro around 90mm and all the way wide--works great for both. I use the internal strobe and a Fantasea focus light.

IMG_0026.jpgIMG_0035.jpgIMG_0001.jpg

Last week in Florida. The last pic is straight out of the camera.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom