canon g9 housing diffuser woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a canon housing for my G9 and the diffuser often falls off the housing while diving. It snaps right back in but then falls off again eventually. I have tried to glue it in place with aquaseal,clear silicone and crazy glue with varying results but eventually it falls off again right at the most inoppurtune moment. I even tried to make a elastic strap to go around the bottom of the port but that did not help either. I dont mind it being permanent any ideas?

mine also falls off sometimes, G15 housing's diffuser. I am planning to use the black plastic cover to cover the internal flash, but I don't know how to install the thing. Can anyone teach me how?

I have a canon housing for my G9 and the diffuser often falls off the housing while diving. It snaps right back in but then falls off again eventually. I have tried to glue it in place with aquaseal,clear silicone and crazy glue with varying results but eventually it falls off again right at the most inoppurtune moment. I even tried to make a elastic strap to go around the bottom of the port but that did not help either. I dont mind it being permanent any ideas?

Polycarbonate is an exceptionally difficult material to bond to. Its going to require a two-part epoxy. Loctite has a couple they claim will work. J-B Weld will probably do the job but will look horrendous.

mine also falls off sometimes, G15 housing's diffuser. I am planning to use the black plastic cover to cover the internal flash, but I don't know how to install the thing. Can anyone teach me how?

Which "black plastic cover"? The key to blocking the internal flash properly is in the tape job but we need a little more information about which system you are planning on using.

hi,
this is the plastic that i am talking about. I don't know how to install the cable to this one so I can make my strobe ( Inon2000s) work. IMG_0592.jpgIMG_0591.jpgIMG_0593.jpgthis is the only one that's included included in my housing, no tapes or whatever.

Last edited:
How about something like clear packing tape? (Since duck tape is out of the question.)

so , I tape the cable inside this plastic black cover then install on my housing. so I can still make use of the focus light of the camera when shooting stills, is that right?

Well, I was responding to the OP's question...

I'm not familiar with this particular camera/housing so assumed the issue is with an external diffuser.

Sorry if I'm way off base.

guadencio, it looks like you are mixing bits of two kits there. The bracket in the first photo simply snaps into place on the housing over the flash. From there, you need a rubber bushing (INON Double Hole Rubber Bush for Fiber Optics) to hold the cable into the hole. Insert the end of the cable into the bushing and the bushing into the hole. There may be an adequate bushing under the cap in the third photo. You need to remove the cap to pull the end of the cable out anyway so you can easily check to find out if that one will fit. The remainder of the bracket in the third photo can go into storage for potential use on a future housing.

Once you get it together, take the camera w/ housing into a dark room and stand about two feet from a white wall. With the internal flash on but the external flash off, take a shot at the wall to determine if there is light leakage going forward. If there is, you need a bit of tape on the inside of the housing. Any black tape that won't deteriorate/fall apart will do. The black tape of the inon photo system is really good but also priced to match. Here is a photo (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/st...lash-canon-s95-inon-s-2000-a.html#post6238156) of how my S90 case is taped that shows it takes just enough to keep light from going forward with a bit at the top and on the sides. The photo film is not really necessary, just leave a gap where the flash can get to the end of the cable..

Last edited:
hi, thanks for your tips and the links. But because of the links I tried my housing and strobe with no cables attached with the plastic cover and my strobe fired without the cable. I don't know if this would be done underwater. I hope so, I will be trying this next weekend.

Thanks guys but the glue seems to hold fine on the polycarbonate housing. Its the diffuser that it dosent hold on. It must be made out of the same material as the glue bottles!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom