Canon PowerShot F125 vs goPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imkeshav

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
(Reposting here as the forum is specific to goPro)

Hi Guys,

The only underwater camera I have ever seen in action is a goPro and without a redfilter it does not get good videos. I will be diving in Tulamben and Bali the next week, so hoping to capture some great memories.

Now the dive center is also offering a Cannon PowerShot F125 for $30/day which is not very expensive, but this is without a red filter. How does this compare to a goPro Hero3 ($200) +redFilter (if I can find it)? If both are similar, renting would be OK.

Bottom line is this is big trip for me and I want to capture lots of stuff underwater including Mantas etc

Looking forward to some inputs

I can't find anything on a Canon Powershot F125. Could you provide a link to the camera?

Sorry, I'm just sharing the model name that was give to me by the manager at the Dive Center. I couldn't find the model on the net. I will ask for a link

It may most likely give you the same results underwater without a filter, predominately green/blue video. You might be able to try to fiddle with the in camera white balance settings, maybe even try to manual white balance if it supports it but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Additionally, it is unlikely that it will have a wide FOV like the GoPro.

I believe using a GoPro with a red filter will be easier and produce better video than a regular camera *if* you have no previous experience with u/w video. The GoPro is easy to use and has a wide angle lens. Push one button and you're filming. On other cameras you might have to mess with white balance and deal with a narrower field of view.

The downside of the GoPro are the stills, they only turn out ok at shallower depths with plenty of light. With a point and shoot you may have the aid of the flash and possibly better shutter speeds/wider aperture.

agree with toozler

There's an IXUS 125? - European designation. In the U.S. it's the Canon Elph 110.

A quick comparison seems like the GoPro might yield better video results as it shoots 1920x180 video at up to 60FPS.

The best the Ixus can do is 1929x1080 at 24FPS. Call that film or cinematic mode - it's a little softer. Not undesirable just know that all the highest resolution video shot will be in that mode.

If you change the IXUS to 1280x720 it will shoot 30FPS. Or 720P video - it still qualifies as HD under the specification. A lot of the P&S cameras do that.

The GoPro can also shoot 1280x720 but at up to 60FPS depending on the model.

If the comparison is to a Go Pro 3/3+ either the Black or Silver - they'll be better. If it's to a White, they'll probably be very indistinguishable. In fact the White only has a 5MP sensor. Except I believe even the White does 1920x1080P video but only at 30 FPS also.

Advantage to the Ixus is it has a 3" LCD for framing. Unless the GoPro has the Bacpac, you're shooting blind. With the wide angle lens on the GoPro that's not as important as it sounds.

I'll let someone else that knows more about these things compare further. Here's the links to the still camera:

Canon ELPH 110 / IXUS 125 review | Cameralabs
Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : PowerShot ELPH 110 HS

As someone mentioned, for stills I might go with the Canon. However if either camera is a standalone rental, I don't see one being much superior. The upper end stills resolution on the Canon is 16MP though - better than the GoPro Black's 12MP.

Last edited:
Whatever camera you end up renting make sure you have a red filter. Regardless of the camera without the red filter you'll just get blue images.
Considering you are going to be in Bali, there will be enough ambient light to get good quality shots.

a RED FILTER is necessary for ANY underwater video in order to get good footage. It doesn't matter which camera .... all need a red filter or lights. If you go for lights then they only work for 5-10 ft in producing correct color. If you use the red filter, when you get home and edit your footage you can do some additional white balancing BUT anything deeper than 70' is still going to have a bluish tint. That is true of any camcorder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom