Canon Powershot G7x or G7x Mark II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calliejlong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Canon G16 that recently broke on my last dive trip. I still have the housing for it that's in excellent condition (fantasea housing). I have been debating about getting another G16 used or purchasing a whole new setup. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the G7X or G7x Mark II? Which is the newest version? Also, I have a nice macro Inon UCL-165M67 lens from my G16. Will this setup also fit on either the G7X or G7x Mark II fantasea housings or will I have to also buy a new macro lens? I mostly take macro underwater shots with this camera but do enjoy using it for other things as well. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I had a similar dilemma last year when my S 110 died at the start of a trip . In it's new housing. I understand that the housings are specific to each camera. So I bought a used S110 , which has been brilliant. Because they are quite old now I also bought a second and this worked out fine for me. I'm not sure about your lens and whether or not it can be used with a new canon.

Good luck

I bought a used camera before because of the same situation and then started on a vacation to Thailand and Bali for diving to find that after the first day of diving the camera refused to work. I was so disappointed and did get a refund when I returned but still didn't make up for not having a camera for the entire trip. So I am a little bit nervous about buying used again. Did you buy yours used from a specific store? I bought mine on ebay - maybe that was the problem?

The G7x Mk II is the newer version, as you'd expect. I have the Mk II and it's excellent, both U/W and topside. I believe it to be better than the 1st version in many ways, including battery life, but unfortunately it does not have 1 touch manual white balance like the original, if that would be important to you, perhaps not is you enjoy mainly macro.
I can't comment on the lenses.

Im not 100% on the difference of the G7x but have used this Canon range and upgraded a few times right from way back on the G9 model. Each new camera has new features no doubt, but only every once in a while is there a real serous jump in tech. I still shoot with my G10 from time to time and produce images just as good as my G16. I would say find out how much Canon want to fix it.. my G10 has had about 20 repairs over the years, even surviving a full flood believe it or not and is still alive, granted after a few repairs and i love that camera. The repairs have never been very expensive at all. If you love your camera revive it or get a replacement I say, that extra money you may spend on a upgrade could be better used on other peripheral rig items that would enhance your photography a lot more such as lighting or lens etc. good luck

I bought a used camera before because of the same situation and then started on a vacation to Thailand and Bali for diving to find that after the first day of diving the camera refused to work. I was so disappointed and did get a refund when I returned but still didn't make up for not having a camera for the entire trip. So I am a little bit nervous about buying used again. Did you buy yours used from a specific store? I bought mine on ebay - maybe that was the problem?
I got it from EBAY and before the next trip bought a second. Two or three trips later both are going very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom