Canon S100 HD videos. Critique + advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AandK

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, please have a look at my videos and let me know how to improve their quality. Currently we are taking the footage using no video lights and just evaluative white balance set on a white slate. We have also experimented with the video editing and have found that the video output must be set to 23.98 (24) frames per second otherwise the videos will seem choppy. Some of our early videos on our youtube channel have been done at 30fps and look wrong.SCUBA Diving A&K HD | Rapid Bay March 2013 Leafy Sea Dragons Close Up! - YouTube
HD video at Rapid Bay South Australia showing leafy sea dragons.

SCUBA Diving A&K HD | Seacliff Reef March 2013 - YouTube
HD video of Seacliff Reef South Australia showing blue devils

AandKdiving - YouTube
Our youtube channel with more videos.

Please choose fullscreen and hd1080
for best quality

Very good. As you have worked out the camera shoots in 24p so you need to stick to that in the editing and encoding
Few things:
- There are few parts where the camera hunts for focus, may want to focus lock
- some parts where you pan the exposure changes and gets a bit too light, maybe try exposure lock when you pan to avoid sudden adjustments
- there seems to be quite some distortion at the edges do you have a wide angle lens?
- in the editing there is some block noise on the water column that can be avoided
- marginal camera shake at some times
All in all image clarity is good and crisp you can be satisfied

Thanks for the tips. We are not actually using any lenses yet, just the inon LD adaptor for now so I'm not sure why there is distortion. Exposure lock sounds interesting because on sunny days at shallow depths we get a lot of exposure flares which can ruin the movie. How do I use exposure lock in a movie? How can I avoid the noise in the water column? Is this an editing trick or something I have done wrong? Thank
Very good. As you have worked out the camera shoots in 24p so you need to stick to that in the editing and encoding
Few things:
- There are few parts where the camera hunts for focus, may want to focus lock
- some parts where you pan the exposure changes and gets a bit too light, maybe try exposure lock when you pan to avoid sudden adjustments
- there seems to be quite some distortion at the edges do you have a wide angle lens?
- in the editing there is some block noise on the water column that can be avoided
- marginal camera shake at some times
All in all image clarity is good and crisp you can be satisfied

So you have the LD adapter but no lenses attached to it?
Exposure lock you need to press arrow up then a lever appears on screen that you can control again to change exposure, then you shoot
The block noise can have to do with the editing software, what did you use? Did you convert the files on import?

So you have the LD adapter but no lenses attached to it?
Exposure lock you need to press arrow up then a lever appears on screen that you can control again to change exposure, then you shoot
The block noise can have to do with the editing software, what did you use? Did you convert the files on import?
Yeah we use the LD mount for the fibre optic port and we will be getting a couple of inon lenses soon. For editing we have used windows movie maker because its easy but I have tried adobe premier which takes too long to do anything, Corel videostudio and Sony Vega. Corel video suite was great to use but I could not get it to output correctly with 24fps. What software to you suggest I use? Thanks.

OK so the distortion I mention at the sides is pincushion distortion
Have a read here on why you would want to have at least a wet dome if not a wet wide angle lens
Underwater Video Tips: Using 24mm Compact Cameras | Interceptor121 Underwater Video
For editing I am a mac user so I use iMovie, am not up to date with PC programs but I tried premiere on the mac and found it atrocious
Many people like sony vegas not sure which version and that one definitely outputs 24p
If you have the Inon base you should consider getting an Inon UWL-H100 the quality of the picture will improve a lot and the image reach 110 degrees field of view
Do you have a tray and which arms?

When we go to Japan later this year the inon uwl-h100 will be one of my holiday purchases along with a macro lens. Yes we have an inon d4 tray with 2 inon 200mm float arms with a z-240 at the end. Perhaps ill give vegas another shot. Thanks again.
OK so the distortion I mention at the sides is pincushion distortion
Have a read here on why you would want to have at least a wet dome if not a wet wide angle lens
Underwater Video Tips: Using 24mm Compact Cameras | Interceptor121 Underwater Video
For editing I am a mac user so I use iMovie, am not up to date with PC programs but I tried premiere on the mac and found it atrocious
Many people like sony vegas not sure which version and that one definitely outputs 24p
If you have the Inon base you should consider getting an Inon UWL-H100 the quality of the picture will improve a lot and the image reach 110 degrees field of view
Do you have a tray and which arms?

Thanks for the exposure lock tip interceptor, I didn't know about that. Does macro mode need to be used with the Nauticam wetmate correction lens in your article?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom