Canon S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that I've read this entire thread, I'm reconsidering my "tentative" decision to buy the S100 and the Ikelite housing with both wide angle and macro wet lenses (for WA lenses, I was looking at the Inon UWL-H100, the Epoque DCL-20 and the Dyron 15 mm DY67WA15; for macros, I was looking at the Inon UCL-165 and the Dyron UCL67).

Now that this camera has been out for a little while, is there any further guidance other than that which has already been mentioned in this thread? Since I want to use this camera to shoot both WA and macro, I'd hate to make a $1000+ mistake if there aren't wet lenses that will work well with this camera. Has anyone had success using wet lenses with the S100?

Don't confuse Nemrod with your facts! :wink:

Cheers,
Huw

You see, this is the thing, never did I say I did not want it to work, only that most of the common lenses would not be useful or would vignette or have blurred edges. The UFL165AD, my favorite lens and a common lens, nope, do not see it there. Further, if you compare the view of the full wide UWL-04 and crop it vs the first step of zoom in order to use the full sensor size, you have either lost field or lost sensor area, either way, not good. The new Inon H100 lens I have said from the beginning that it might be a good match and the best chance for working.

If you actually look at the samples, what good is accomplished by zooming vs the flat port other than blurred edges? It does look like the UWL-04 does provide a useful increase in FOV with one step of zoom, interested to see the actual photos to access the corner sharpness vs the S90/S95. Same with the other lenses. So, nothing especially surprising, lots of zooming required, lot's of vignetting without multiple steps of zoom and the images are not large enough to access the overall quality, thus, at this point, until images of the lenses you wish to use are provided, I would stand by at the ready.

This brings back some deja vu of the Fisheye website previously with a set of images, some of which were not exactly accurate of what could be expected. This image was shot with the S90/FIX/UWL-04 full wide, no crop:

IMG_0810_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0345_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1211_edited-1.jpg

This image was shot with the Inon UFL165AD, one step zoom, no crop, any UFL165AD on that demo set?:

IMG_0492_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0664_edited-1.jpg

Used the Canon provided RAW software, if one uses the Photoshop then the S90 does vignette, the S95 less so, whatever was/is going on with Canon software and hardware is beyond me.

It does look like the H100 will shoot well with the S100, the Fisheye UWL-04 looks encouraging, the rest, yawn. Good luck with all that. If I have to zoom more than a step to eliminate vignetting I am not especially interested anymore. I think there are now better cameras and housings available in a similar or slightly greater price range than the S series.

I took the shots with the various lenses I could get a hold of and posted them when some said "other things" and they were of use, per many PMs, to many people. Since it is facts you desire, you go right ahead and do the same, buy the rig and the various lenses and shoot them and put the photos up with a description of what lens, what zoom step, cropping etc. That would be more useful than trying to confuse yourself with figuring out why I said what I said and continue to say what I said when I said what I said. :wink:

I finally got around to pulling out some photos I shot with my Nikonos and putting them on the Carousel, I am now having serious questions and wondering why it is I think a digi-cami is so good anyways, the stark reality of a comparison against a good shot on Kodachrome through a Nikon underwater lens and the Canon S (of any pedigree) is humbling. If I actually wanted sharp photos maybe it is time to move on to something else, what that something is though is terribly undecided. I do have that Tokina 10-17 Canon mount sitting in my cabinet. I could hire a Sherpa to carry it all for me, hmmm.

Good luck, facts can be an elusive thing to pursue.

N

Last edited:
I'll be doing some real-world tests with the Ikelite S100 and Recsea S100 housings and some wet lenses soon. The S95 camera will definitely not work in the S100 housings. The ikelite s100 housing is very similar to the Ike S95 housing.

Recsea really did a nice job with the S100 housing - redesigning the control wheels, adding a precision shutter release and a double-oring design. - Scott

To Nemrod:

I'll be happy to carry it to the boat and the divesites if you want to come to PNG with us in April/May. Comparing the Nikonos to a tiny sensor P&S is not exactly even apples to oranges but maybe apples (apple a day) to Lipitor. In any case time for you to move up to something more comparable. For tininiess and to use your nikonos lenses (assuming you still have them) look at the Nex.

Bill

Has anyone had success using wet lenses with the S100?

UWL-H100 is pretty great with Ikelite S100, but we haven't tried any of the less expensive options on that housing.

We get asked by a lot of people what lenses work well, work, and just don't. A resource like this helps us illustrate the differences. It is a data point, not a definitive answer.

I just ordered S100 and about to buy Ikelite housing. Anyone have underwater pictures taken with S100 with and without wet-mount lenses? I have an Inon UWL-100 28AD from my current P&S set up and am curious if there is an adapter from the Ikelite 67mm threaded connection to the Inon 28AD connection. I assume there will be some vignetting but no clue how much or if it's worth trying to use that lens.

Thanks Pat - believe me I love my S95, super excited to go diving with it. But my ONLY real beef with it so far is that it's 720p....was secretly hoping for some kinda firmware update to give it 1080....that's why i was miffed to see this. I wonder if it will fit with the Ike housing i just ordered, with a mod kit or something.
Anyways, yeah, still lovin' my 95.....
I keep hearing from the folks around our area that the S95 has less noisy video than the 1080P S100 and the color is as rich. The res on a larger tv not as great. If you are shooting with proper lighting I think you will get better results. If no light though, I think the S95 will be really good for video. Alas, I am sure that Canon will have a firmware upgrade for the S100. Interested to see how this new little cam improves and how people will use it.

I just ordered S100 and about to buy Ikelite housing. Anyone have underwater pictures taken with S100 with and without wet-mount lenses? I have an Inon UWL-100 28AD from my current P&S set up and am curious if there is an adapter from the Ikelite 67mm threaded connection to the Inon 28AD connection. I assume there will be some vignetting but no clue how much or if it's worth trying to use that lens.

i have the inon 67mm>AD mount...works fine. currently use it on my TG610/PT051 set up with my UWL105AD. thinking of moving to a G12 or S100 set up so if you don't find any pics between with/without, hopefully i can get some up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom