canon S110 with dual INON D2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex@nder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

i recently bought my first real uw camera equipment and this week a second INON strobe. I use a Canon S110 in a Ikelite housing with Inon d2000 and have problems getting reasonable results while using TTL. Right now I work only in Manual mode or without strobe using the C setting in the Canon. What settings do I need to apply....Auto in S110 and TTL? What about the 2nd strobe?

many thanks in advance

Kind regards
Alexander

I use two D2000's with an Oly epl-2. I assume that you're connecting the strobes via optical cable (to each) and your S110 uses pre-flash. For the sttl to work on the D2000's you need you have the flash on auto and the mode on the strobe to STTL. I've gotten excellent results doing this. You can then adjust the intensity of the flash using the right dial on the back of the D2000 - A being more power, C being less power, B being default.

I also only shoot manual.

More info can be found here - Selecting the proper settings for INON strobes

Hi,

Thanks! You are right, I use optical cable. I got the link and I am familiar with the strobe settings but what I don't understand is the following: In camera M mode I can adjust the flash settings only to min, medium or max. There is no auto except in Auto, P or C mode. Which mode for the camera do I have to use?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Kind regards
Alexander

---------- Post added November 19th, 2013 at 04:13 PM ----------

Mmmh...looks like I can use the S110 only in Tv or Ap mode to make use of Auto mode flashing. Any thoughts about Advanced Cancel Circuit settings for the second strobe....?

Kind regards
Alexander

Your best bet is to set your camera in manual mode, the internal flash at minimum and set your Inons on manual mode. You will soon get the hang of getting the exposure right. IF you really want TTL then use Aperture mode on the camera, but that will set really slow shutter speeds in many cases.
Bill

The Inon sTTL mode does not work with the Canon S series cameras in Manual exposure mode mode. Canon S series camera (or G) do not emit a preflash in Manual exposure or in any mode that allows Manual strobe (power level) when it is selected.

Here are the compatible selections:

InonChart.png

N

Hi Nemrod,

That is extremely helpful. Thanks. How can I use 2 strobes at the same time ? What I don't understand is how the strobes know from each other while operating in sTTL or eAUTO - this should effect exposure/shutter speed settings? Where can I retrieve more information. The INON homepage at a glance didn't provide me further inside. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards
Alex@nder

Hi Nemrod,

That is extremely helpful. Thanks. How can I use 2 strobes at the same time ? What I don't understand is how the strobes know from each other while operating in sTTL or eAUTO - this should effect exposure/shutter speed settings? Where can I retrieve more information. The INON homepage at a glance didn't provide me further inside. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards
Alex@nder

Alexander, you are correct, when using dual strobes they essentially operate independent. When appropriately used in sTTL (camera in correct modes) the strobes mimic (well, sorta) the camera strobe except that Inon strobes in sTTL (simulated through the lens) fire a stronger pre-flash after reading the camera pre-flash and this fools the camera strobe to reduce it's output, the Inon strobes, then each make their own calculations. That is the gist of it.

As well, when in eAuto, the strobes function independent. They have no idea the other even exist, except, the sensor in the strobe face will see the other strobes flash. Each strobe then makes the correct exposure (strobe duration). When each strobe thinks the scene has been correctly exposed the strobe flash is terminated. eAuto works very well in Av mode with camera in Manual flash (set to lowest setting) in particular, it is my favorite shooting set up for general use.

So, basically, do not worry about the strobes knowing about each other, it is not really important. I have seen as many as six Inon strobes used together.

And, the chart I provided, is correct. I have tested it, I am the author. It works with one, two or however many Inon D/Z/S strobes as appropriate.

When shooting your camera in Av (auto flash mode selected) or Auto or Program modes sTTL works great. But uses more camera battery, a lot more. You can bias your exposure using the camera over/under compensation (to two stops plus or minus) or the strobe compensation control on the D2000. There are some other ways as well if you insist I go into them.

I would suggest you reserve sTTL for macro and close shots, eAuto for wide angle and general shots.

This thing about everyone telling folks to shoot in camera Manual exposure mode is simply, uh, simplistic. Especially when you realize you give up the sTTL capability the D2000 has, which is awesome when used correctly and sucks as you discovered when not.

Warning, do not remove or install the magnet when the strobes are operating. It can and will damage the circuit.

N

---------- Post added November 24th, 2013 at 02:03 AM ----------

Why do Inon D strobes have a magnet or not? I get asked this constantly. Forget about why, just do per the chart. The magnet operates a proximity switch inside the case. Using a magnet to activate the switch rather than a knob/shaft eliminates another hole in the case, and it is just simpler for the purpose, an ON/OFF switch rather than a multiple selector knob. And, it eliminates the possibility of the switch being inadvertently functioned while the strobe is powered.

I guess they could redesign the circuit so ask Inon that question, I just know what is, not what was going on in their heads when they did it.

N

Last edited:
Hi,
Many thanks for all your explanation. This is very insightful and things make now sense to me. There are two remaining questions: i realized that the battery in the camera is draining while not in Manual mode and I changed the continuous AF setting to just while shutter is pressed. That helped a lot. Are there other auto functions which can be shut off?
Why do I need to install the magnet if I want to use manual mode? I thought I could use the manual function by just switching to M mode on both strobes and camera without setting the magnet, which is the way I took my pictures so fare while using only on strobe. Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Alex@nder

Hi,
Many thanks for all your explanation. This is very insightful and things make now sense to me. There are two remaining questions: i realized that the battery in the camera is draining while not in Manual mode and I changed the continuous AF setting to just while shutter is pressed. That helped a lot. Are there other auto functions which can be shut off?

You can turn the screen brightness down. You can use the eAuto position or Manual on the strobes and set the camera strobe to Manual and lowest power.Turn off the focus assist.

do I need to install the magnet if I want to use manual mode? I thought I could use the manual function by just switching to M mode on both strobes and camera without setting the magnet, which is the way I took my pictures so fare while using only on strobe. Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Alex@nder

The Inon strobes do not know what mode the camera is in. Just because you switch the camera to Manual, the strobe has no idea. The strobe needs to be told to expect a pre flash or not to expect a pre flash. The magnet operated switch is that selector input.

Some people shoot manual strobes with the camera in Auto or Av, an odd combination but with the camera in Auto exposure there is always a pre-flash. If using the Inon strobe in Manual mode then the strobe needs to know to expect the pre-flash. Or, more likely, I often shoot the camera in Manual exposure mode which defaults the camera to Manual strobe (no pre-flash, and you set to lowest power selection) and use the Inon strobes in eAuto mode. That way I control the camera exposure and can set a particular f stop and shutter combination for a light or dark background (macro and close up) and still let the strobes do the subject exposure. In other words, the strobes expose the subject, the camera controls the background exposure (and overall).

When shooting with strobes, the subject needs to be within three feet. The strobes control the near subject exposure and the camera f stop controls the background (blue water etc. ) exposure.

That is all a simplification but it mostly works that way. The chart is correct, if you use those combination, you should be okay. You can test these by setting up in your living area. Put some small objects on your table to be subject, use the various settings and play with all the dials, see for yourself. When shooting your strobes on land, give them a cool down every 10 shots or so, might be a good idea.

N

When shooting with strobes, the subject needs to be within three feet. The strobes control the near subject exposure and the camera f stop controls the background (blue water etc. ) exposure.

N

I just realized I got my brain cells crossed, this should read:

When shooting with strobes, the subject needs to be within three feet. The strobes setting and camera f stop (aperture) control the near subject exposure and the camera shutter speed selected controls the background (blue water etc. ) exposure.

Sorry about that, I know what I was saying, I just did not say it, aplogies for any confusion.

N

Back
Top Bottom