Canon S90 in Canon WP-DC35 Housing: First impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inon made a very nice setup for the S80 housing that allows me to attach the optical cord for my strobe. What appears to be the best way to attach an optical cord to the Canon housing -- not to mention blocking the internal flash.

Also, is there room for a moisture muncher in the Canon housing?

Hmm. Might depend on exactly what type of moisture muncher you're using... the little tubes or the little mini sugar packet-style. I think there may be somewhere you could squeeze in the latter, but I'm not sure about the tubes. I'll see if I can take another look when I get a chance... maybe before I head out for work, maybe tonight when I get home.

To be honest, though, I've used desiccant packets exactly 4 times in my S80's Ikelite housing. I've had exactly 4 single-dive instances of fogging in the past 4 years of shooting (I've had my S80 on easily 350 dives, I'd guess). (after two of those instances I borrowed desiccants for the subsequent dives and been fine, after the other two I did NOT use desiccants and merely dried things better with a towel, and then I was fine)

I don't know if the S90 in the Canon housing will be different, and I'm not 100% certain what I'm doing right (I change batteries in my S80 after every dive, often with wet hands although clearly I do my best to keep things dry and wipe up any water spots before resealing) with my S80, but fogging is simply not a problem that really registers on my radar at this point, since it's been so rare.

The S-90 lens is not extended fully when it is at 28mm, it shortens at 35, then extends out when zoomed, so no housing is going to get the camera lens closer to the port glass. I believe I read that the WP-DC35 has a 2 pane glass port to minimize fogging, but maybe keeping the camera lens a little farther away from the external lens. Inon AD lenses are hopeless with this camera - they vignette badly with the Inon lens in direct contact with the camera lens (no housing)!

With WA24 the result under water is arround 29 or 30mm, no vignetting.

Thank you, do you have photographs of the lens, the lens installed on the camera (S90/DC-35) and photographs taken with the lens installed and without and a place to purchase?

N

interesting stuff....maybe i'll get the Canon housing for the days i don't want a strobe and keep the Ike for strobey days.

There had been some discussion previously about whether a moisture muncher would fit between the camera and housing. Is anyone using a silica product in their housing? Which one and where does it fit best? Would the moisture muncher tubes be too long (I could not find dimensions for the tubes)? Anyone try the Olympus paper wrapped silica?

Inon AD lenses are hopeless with this camera - they vignette badly with the Inon lens in direct contact with the camera lens (no housing)!

Not to being arguing but just to make sure there is no misunderstanding, I don't know if wet mount lenses will work with the DC-35 but if not it is a housing problem and not a camera problem based on my tests, Inon AD lenses will work IMO with this camera if the housing is suitable and of course that is a big if:

S90 at 28mm:

IMG_0016.jpg

S90 at 35mm:

IMG_0022.jpg

S90 with Inon 165AD FE on front of FIX90 housing, camera at 35mm, no vignetting, no post cropping or Photoshop:

IMG_0024.jpg

Shooting distance is 18 inches from port to fish, AD lens was positioned about 1/32 inch in front of port, maybe a tad less.

N

I'm new at this, and looking to buy one of these housings, but I had a question regarding the buoyancy. Canon sells a weight kit to go with their housing, while the Ikelite only claims to be "neutrally buoyant under water." Are the weights only to make the Canon negatively buoyant? Will the Ikelite require weights? Thanks for your help!

I'm new at this, and looking to buy one of these housings, but I had a question regarding the buoyancy. Canon sells a weight kit to go with their housing, while the Ikelite only claims to be "neutrally buoyant under water." Are the weights only to make the Canon negatively buoyant? Will the Ikelite require weights? Thanks for your help!

If it's neutral, you won't need weights. Neutral, or very slightly negative, is generally the goal.

The thing to avoid is floaty (only happens with the OEM housings and zero add-ons) or really heavy, which is usually more of a concern, and requires floats, foam, and other methods to deal with once you start adding lenses, strobes, etc. and things get heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom