Canon S90 Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Intova wide beam, unlike the narrow beam version, has a very smooth, even, wide beam with no hot spot, but, I defer to Compu, if he says it won't work, I guess not. I can see how a bright light might interfere.

:: INTOVA ::

N

The Intova Wide is a different light from the Intova Compact you initially linked.

The Intova Compact uses 3x AAA batteries and is a very narrowly-focused beam. It's not available in a wide version. (currently)

The Intova Wide uses 2x CR123a Lithium batteries and is a wide beam. It might work for a focus light, but personally I wouldn't want to burn through expensive CR123a batteries like that for a focus light.

I had understood (or misunderstood) that these two are made by the same company, and are essentially the same, but the online descriptions say Mini has AA batteries and Nano has AAA. Does your Mini really have AA?

I think it's the same Chinese OEM making the same light for two different companies. They're 100% identical except for the silk-screened company name.

They definitely use 4x AAA batteries, in spite of the myriad of websites that mis-quote them as using AA. (I wish they did use AA, but they don't)

KhunNeal,

What optical cable do you use for you setup? How did you fix it on the case? I am thinking about buying either the same setup as yours of AF-35 as strobes - they do not require a cable. What would you recommend and why?

Thanks

I used the Inon S2000 without a cable, and didn't like the results. I decided to make my own cable for the Ikelite S90 housing.
I strongly suggest optical cables, otherwise you might not trigger the strobe if it is placed behind the camera; Or strobe may fire from a nearby flash.

The cable itself is a standard optical cable used to connect a DVD player with a stereo, mine was less than $10. (computer network type optical cables are different -- and did not work).
I then got a package of misc gaskets from HomePro,
glued a medium size one to the housing, and a small size one to the cable. They then plug into each other and make a tight fit (doesn't not come loose UW).
For the Inon Side I found a piece of plastic that fit the optical port and hacked together a connection.
It looks kind of messy, but it works 100% underwater, easy to take apart. and I can detach my strobe arm and use it handheld when I need to take a pic into a hole or under a ledge.

The only downside is the cable attachment is glued to the housing, I HAVE to use my strobe, but thats ok for me. After a few test shots I knew I wasn't going to use the ikelite housing w/ built in flash and diffuser.

Attachments

• aIMG_3324.jpg
    aIMG_3324.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 93
  • aIMG_3323.jpg
    aIMG_3323.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 90
  • aIMG_3325.jpg
    aIMG_3325.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 106
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back