Can’t breathe !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick004

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone ! I’m new to scuba diving and just finishing the course ! I seem to be fine underwater and not too stressed and I believe I’m breathing properly . My problem is when I surface I can’t catch my breathe ! I feel like I’m hyperventilating and have to get to the side of the pool and try to catch my breath ! Any recommendations ?? Thanks !

Hi,
it could be a number of things. the 2 that come to mind:

1. is your wetsuit too tight? (i once surfaced in a wetsuit that was too tight and could barely breath, had to unzip it before exiting the water as i thought i was going to pass out)

2. is your BCD/Wing fully inflated? if not then you may be kicking loads to keep you afloat which will lead to shortness of breath.

I don’t think it was the BC as it was immediately after I ascended from being underwater in the pool ! The wetsuit I’m using is tight , it’s a 7mm shorty , I don’t have too hard a time getting in on !

hmmm well a wetsuit needs to not be too loose otherwise it flushes but it shouldn't be uncomfortably tight. anything else you can tell us. do you still have the reg in when you struggle, does it stop when you take it out, do you calm down when you get to the side of the pool?

any chance you are using a POS rental reg that is too tight? (breathes hard)

Hello everyone ! I’m new to scuba diving and just finishing the course ! I seem to be fine underwater and not too stressed and I believe I’m breathing properly . My problem is when I surface I can’t catch my breathe ! I feel like I’m hyperventilating and have to get to the side of the pool and try to catch my breath ! Any recommendations ?? Thanks !

What do YOU think is happening?

R..

I could see it being a combination of the tight wetsuit (especially if it constricts at your neck) and the BCD. The fact that you feel ok underwater tends to point me slightly towards the BCD being tight around your chest when fully buoyant at the surface.

A jacket type BCD (with buoyancy all round) can have the tendency to constrict the lungs if fully inflated on the surface. I certainly had that issue with mine during my OW course. Shortly afterwards switched to a back inflate (BP&W) and love it as there is no constriction across the chest.

Do you immediately feel better or relieved when you do hold onto the pool edge? If so, that would help to rule out a number of potential causes.

It could be you are "over-squeezed" by your wetsuit or buoyancy jacket as the above replies suggest. If so, bleed out a little air from your BC to see if that's it. If not, then could be wetsuit. Are you still floating nice and high out of the water? Let out a little more air and see what that feels like. If your wetsuit has a front zip, unzip it some and try that for feel.

But if it's not squeeze, could it be over-exertion, from trying to stay up "high" enough out of the water? That could happen if you are over-weighted (or under-inflated BC) and you're finning to stay "up", just as swimmers do when they tread water. Uses lots of cals and your breathing rate rises. Grabbing the side of the pool would fix that.

I'm guessing here. But I think it's one, or the other, assuming you don't have any breathing issues on shore with other activities.

Best wishes. You'll get it right, and asking questions is good.

As a diver who dislikes the surface here's my thoughts.

With a bcd we can float with almost no effort. Easier to catch our breath floating than hanging on to the side of the pool.

Is it possible you could trust your bcd more when you surface and keep calm.

Provided the bcd isn't too tight when inflated and it's squeezing your lungs?

Cameron

Back
Top Bottom