Can't Decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

camkole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone!
My partner and I are heading to Cozumel for my first dive trip and I am a portrait and landscape photographer here in Kansas City.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some good buyer's tips for purchasing a gopro.

We want one with a LCD display on the back and obviously a waterproof case which i'm sure it comes with. I want something that will last us until I go for the Hero 4 Black edition.

Any comment is appreciated!

If you are a professional photographer, my guess is you will be quite frustrated with a GoPro. It is extremely wide-angle, can't be focused, no zoom, not good in low light, and very poor for stills. Other than that it takes adequate videos of reef scenes, when shallow, and you may not care about white-balance.

If you are a professional photographer, my guess is you will be quite frustrated with a GoPro. It is extremely wide-angle, can't be focused, no zoom, not good in low light, and very poor for stills. Other than that it takes adequate videos of reef scenes, when shallow, and you may not care about white-balance.

Being that it's vacation I want something I don't have to change much and that I can kind of forget about while im diving and enjoying the view.
I also would like to know the best place to mount it on my gear. Since it's my first 20 dives i'm only doing 2 night dives and won't be taking it along for those.

I just want to know the best model to go with. Cheaper the better.

Don't buy a GoPro then. Get a clone.....it'll work fine and be much cheaper.

I can't tell you which camera is best for your budget, but if you want to get good video - then stability is an important factor. We offer a full complement of Go-Pro accessories, modular mounts and wide angle video lights. If you want to capture close up video with good color and detail, having artificial light will make a big improvement.

Two Handle Camera Tray | MAKO Spearguns

M2HTCT-2T.jpg

[video=youtube_share;DthPL7-fC1Y]http://youtu.be/DthPL7-fC1Y[/video]

Don't buy a GoPro then. Get a clone.....it'll work fine and be much cheaper.

Money isn't neccesarily the issue. But let's be honest who doesn't like to save some extra dollars when they can haha.
I want a go pro. They have a really cool built in app and wireless communication. I was looking at the Hero 4 Silver edition but
I wanted to know if anyone else is using it or suggest it.

I'm scared of clones of a product that are so publically promoted. Example given *those motorized hover boards that kids are buying*

I'm scared of clones of a product that are so publically promoted.
Sounds like you've bought into the advertising. Enjoy it.

Being that it's vacation I want something I don't have to change much and that I can kind of forget about while im diving and enjoying the view.
I also would like to know the best place to mount it on my gear. Since it's my first 20 dives i'm only doing 2 night dives and won't be taking it along for those.

I just want to know the best model to go with. Cheaper the better.
r

camkole, if I may make a gentle suggestion... if these will be your first 20 dives, consider focusing on the mechanics of diving and shed the inevitable distraction that comes with taking a camera/GoPro along. You'll have plenty of opportunities for UW photography after you're very comfortable conducting a safe dive.

Unless you get one of those masks with a GoPro mount, I suspect you won't love the footage from a static mount. I recommend either a monopod (selfie stick, nice for getting closeups without sticking your face in scary places) or a tray like mako posted. I built a tray with some supplies from home depot, some bike handles, and the GoPro tripod mount.

You'll either want lights, a red filter, or maybe both to get reasonable colors at any depth. Obviously that problem is not unique to GoPro.

I've got a Hero 3 black, so it's several versions old, but it works nicely. The newer ones may be better in low light?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Get the Hero 4 Silver, a red filter, we have the back scatter package and a mount, either a tray or a stick. This will get you started and give you good to excellent video for the next several years. Then when/if you like it, you can add lights.

Back
Top Bottom