Capable of recovering regulator while drowning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
hey guys I got a quick question. If you were drowning in the bottom of the ocean would it be possible to recover your regulator even though you swallowed a good amount of water?

Drowning is a very quick process and even thou I have not tried this I doubt an individual would survive without external assistance.

Water entering the respiratory system typically causes laryngospasm followed by cardiac arrest.

Last edited:
Drowning causes reflexive responses - you won't be in control. Have to do it before you drown. There's a lot of time between being out of regulator air and out of blood oxygen, at least a minute of full capability, generally more.

Apnea training is useful at helping you stay calm, not breathe in water, extend that time, and use it to solve your problems.

Welcome to the forum, are you considering diving?

In the process of 'drowning' in the non medical definition if you've only swallowed water and have not inhaled it, it's logically possible to cough and recover using a regulator. Survival instinct is strong and I would hope the reflexes of reg recovery become ingrained.

As the other replies state true drowning it would be unlikely to be able to self rescue from.

What is interesting you about the topic?
Cameron

I have my backup regulator on a bungie necklace around my neck. It's pretty easy to find in an emergency.

Damn straight brother.

I have my backup regulator on a bungie necklace around my neck. It's pretty easy to find in an emergency.

As long as you don't forget to put the bungie around your neck.

Not that anyone would ever forget. Heh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom