Cape Cod diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because my family, and thousands other families, spend summer vacations there.

To answer your specific question - no, I do not boogie board, although my 6 and 12 year olds do.

Seemed a little dramatic but ok... let go with that...
You going to tell everyone to stay out of the water because 1 person has died from a shark - I get it...

I would say the reality is in between "we're screwed" and "no worries." Realistically, if you're putting yourself on an oval-shaped board with arms and legs hanging off the side ... well, I dive with bull and tiger sharks for jollies and wouldn't do that in a hunting ground where GWs are going after seals. To put it very politely, you are going to have a user conflict between sharks and bathers.

The trouble is how to address that. It's the sharks' hunting grounds and seeing them back in numbers is a good sign; the apex predators are coming back in response to the increase in the seal population. Nets, drumlines, or other forms of culling would not be advisable. The optimal course of action would be to minimize interactions between sharks and bathers by keeping lookouts and getting people out of the water if one is hunting in the area.

Just read the story this morning. Sadly predictable and their will be more unfortunately. The number of great whites due to the number of seals will be a big problem for the Cape, both economically and environmentally. I am dreading the day the seals take up residence around Jamestown and Newport.

Seals are here already. Fox island in Narraganset bay has been home to seals for as long as I can remember. IMO the diving and fishing activates at FTW for example makes it a less than desirable place for seals, too many humans. They can probably smell our scent in the water and stay away. There aren't as many people concentrated along the Cape Cod beaches, also it's direct access to open ocean. Makes for nice rookeries.

IMO high tech is needed here, video drones flying over the beaches monitored by ??? during the beach season. As someone mentioned nets do more culling than blocking and what needs culling are the seals, not the sharks. But the seals are sooooo cute we can't cull them!! Why not we cull deer for eating our gardens don't we?

If a food source is drawing unwanted wildlife, the first wildlife management option is to remove the food source. To be realistic, humans (and I use the term loosely) aren't going to swim elsewhere so the sharks can eat in peace. Humans are far too self centered.

The trouble is how to address that. It's the sharks' hunting grounds and seeing them back in numbers is a good sign; the apex predators are coming back in response to the increase in the seal population. Nets, drumlines, or other forms of culling would not be advisable. The optimal course of action would be to minimize interactions between sharks and bathers by keeping lookouts and getting people out of the water if one is hunting in the area.

The reality is: in two short years the situation at the Cape went from "everything under control" (i.e. people knew where the sharks were and stayed out of the water there), to daily shark sightings and periodic killings of seals right in front of the beachgoers in 2017 (one witnessed by my own family), to dozens of sightings and two attacks on humans, one fatal, in 2018.

If the trend continues, the beaches at the Cape will be closed permanently, because suggested drones and lookouts will be reporting activity non stop. Not the worst thing from the general environmentalist point of view, I get it, but for vacationers and the local economy it would be a disaster.

If the trend continues, the beaches at the Cape will be closed permanently, because suggested drones and lookouts will be reporting activity non stop.

Not meant to be a personal attack so apologies - but this is an alarmist type reaction to me. Beaches will be closed for you - because your children and family seem to be very important to you. Regardless of the fact that driving to the beach is more dangerous than swimming off the beaches of Cape Cod.

You seem to have accepted the risk of driving but not swimming off the beaches - your risk your reaction - I get it. That was my only point. I do not agree with your opinion of the beaches and would not change my diving habits. And that is my risk and my reaction.
YMMV

Beaches will be closed for you - because your children and family seem to be very important to you.

No, that is not correct. If a beach is closed, it's closed for everyone on the beach. And not because my family is important to me, but because the authorities say so.

I do not agree with your opinion of the beaches and would not change my diving habits. And that is my risk and my reaction.

What exactly is that "opinion" that you are disagreeing with? For example, in the link below, was the beach closed because of my opinion and my perception of risks?

Cape Cod Beach Indefinitely Closed After More Shark Sightings

BTW, speaking of risks and diving habits, how many GW sightings a day are reported where you dive? Just so I can gauge the risks that we are talking about.

I'm not sure anyone knows exactly when the population of both seals and GW's will come to a natural equilibrium but I'm guessing it hasn't peaked yet. It has taken several decades of protection of both species to get where we are now, who knows what level the environment can support.

To add to the problem the last time the shark population was this healthy in NE not nearly as many people were using the ocean for recreation. I am going to guess that there will be a lot more sad stories in the future.

Lol ok - you win but here we go... only because this is Scubaboard...

Ocearch : Mary Lee
Mary Lee was more famous in NJ waters - drill down on the map - she and others have been seen not just off shore but in the bays - check it out - it is really cool.

However I was born and raised in MA - was certified in 1978 with YMCA - I have dove from NH by the way last year doing a seal dive on the Isle of Shoals to Delaware and still continue to dive. I have family in MA where I dive Cape Ann when I go back. I have no issues diving with sharks. I have been on shark feeding dives in the Bahamas. Personally I like sharks.

I know you know this but diving off the beach does not stop you from diving off the beach - DPV or boat will get you out there too. The only thing that stops you - is you. The state owns the land not the water - unless we are talking about sensitive areas where they can completely block you out. Again I think you are exaggerating the issue - however I do feel for those family members of the boogie boarder.

Waters closed following Cape Cod shark attack; beach manager says people will need to use 'common sense' after fatal incident
Found this humorous...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom