Cape Cod... too dangerous or okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there anything to see on the cape? I thought it was just sand. I'm not afraid of GW last I checked I don't look like a seal.

There is a lot of sand, but also a bunch of wrecks. What there is for charters to get to those wrecks anymore I dunno. (The only one I ever did was the Pendleton and that was ages ago, long before the GWs arrived.)

Interesting discussion; from the graphic I wonder why Florida so heavily leads in GWS attacks, even vs. California. I imagine part of it is the # of people in the water (& a lot of coast line), but still, that's an enormous lead...and no seals/sea lions to mistake divers for.

Another concern. From an earlier post, I take it viz. is often rather poor? And we're talking about an ambush predator that often attacks at high speed from below (at least based on the nature documentary videos from Seal Island in South Africa, IIRC?). And dives in wetsuits look a bit like seals to me somethings...though the bubbles are another issue. Plus seal are smart - I suspect a shark that sees one may not get a long time to study it and mull over what to do. You know the old cliche' 'He who hesitates is lost.'

I hope there's no uptick in attacks.

Richard.

It would be interesting to see that chart adjusted for at least length of coastline, or something. # people in water would be better of course, though I'm not sure where they'd get that number. I'd think Florida has a lot more people splashing around in the water, for a longer part of the year - CA is much colder. But lots of surfers in CA. What people were doing when attacked would be interesting as well.

I wonder if the chart is grouping all shark attacks, not just GWS. I don't recall any GW attacks. Besides the nips at surfers, the serious attacks on swimmers I remember were Bulls and a Hammerhead

Correction: The attack I remembered from Pensacola was another Bull, not a Hammerhead

So I ran into this and thought about this thread...

View attachment 542091
I'm certainly hoping someone will clarify how these statistics are kept. Because apparently someone is counting up which shark attacks are unprovoked, which implies there's a list of provoked attacks. I'd like to hear about them.

I heard we had the 1st OFFICAL sightings (tagged) of GWs in RI waters this past week. One out by Block Island the other at the center breakwater at Pt Judith. That's a little close to shore. I'm going to have to rethink long surface swims at night.

Is there anything to see on the cape? I thought it was just sand. I'm not afraid of GW last I checked I don't look like a seal.

Well, it only matters what you look like to a GW, not what you look like to you doesn't it? Do you take fish oil? Do you pee in your wet suit? Does that make you smell like a seal to a GW? You don't pee in your suit? What if you saw the 15ft GW only after you felt the pressure wave ahead of it, might you pee then? Just something to chew on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom